Attachments

• token1.JPG
    token1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 253
  • token2.JPG
    token2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 255
Re: Need a token ID'd

Great looking token. Not sure but in South Florida where there is much labor intense work; sod cutters, farm pickers, etc the laborers are given chits, tokens for the number of pallets they stack, baskets picked etc. If there was such labor intense activity in your area at the time the token is dated maybe it would be a form of payment to be used at the "company store", issued by the CG or whatever company. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

JJensenJr said:
Looks like a chit from the California Junior Republic (Boys Republic). http://www.geocities.com/erik_mccrea/linksGH.html
Good id JJensenJr. It is definitely from there. Their motto was the same as the one on the coin. It was located in Chino,Ca..They are still in business today.

Upvote 0

What is really ironic about all of this is, I was taking Law Enforcement at Chaffey College while I lived down there. One of my classes was Juevenille Procedures. For this class' term paper we were instructed to do a report on any aspect of how our community handled juevenilles that had any number of social problems. I called the director of this same boys home in Chino and got permission to spend a few days there observing how they operated. Turned out it was the same boys home that the actor, Steve McQueen, was at for a time. During the holidays they make Christmas wreaths out of pine branches and sell them all over the country. Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

Here's part of your token's history:

In February of '08, the National Association of Junior Republics was formed, with Mr. George as its director. The aims of this federation were to build at least one Republic in each state (and in other countries as well), and to establish colonies for even younger kids (who would be sent to one of the existing Republics at age 15).
Several types of tokens (45 known varieties) circulated within this largely self-sustaining community; they are described in 2 Coin World articles (4/1/02, 7/19/04). “Almost from the start,” Mr. von Klinger writes, the patriarch “recognized the ‘republic’ would also need a currency in place of the bartering that initially went on.

In 1896, bracteate tin pieces were issued. Round aluminum pieces appeared in 1900, followed by octagonal aluminum pieces in 1907 and 1910. “The 1910 dies were officially altered to produce 1911 and 1912 issues. Paper scrip replaced the tokens in 1925. More refined brass tokens...with the portrait of George, were produced in 1946, but paper scrip was resumed in 1947.

The school in Chino Hills issued about 4 tokens. The one in Grove City issued about 3 varieties. All of these are quite scarce.
Don..
Source: http://www.geocities.com/erik_mccrea/linksGH.html

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back