Need a little help

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
It's close to 1 1/2 inches across and 1/2 inch thick- found in pearl river county mississippi .

image-1868102639.jpg

Attachments

• image-1393216794.jpg
    image-1393216794.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2283965340.jpg
    image-2283965340.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
Twitch said:
Darryl - I'm assuming from the picture that it's wood?

No it's stone- it was worked a lot - many lines from some sort of tool- I'm thinking discoidal

Well...I dont know too much about discoidals but from what i remember reading about them before is that we cant explain exactly what they were but to most they are viewed as game pcs the scratches could indicate use in gameplay as it was scooted around a surface or etc.....just a wild guess though and not a very good one ...those lines are very interesting.

I'm thinking a bead preform due to its size, before the drilling. The incised lines looks like they were trying to reduce its size. Discoidals are usually larger in size as well another reason i do not believe this is one. However it is a very nice find....Good eye!!.......................GTP(Chris)

Last edited:
Get-the-point said:
I'm thinking a bead preform due to its size, before the drilling....Nice find...........................GTP(Chris)

Get the Point that's an interesting thought- that never passed my mind- thanks for your input appreciate

SOHIO said:
Well...I dont know too much about discoidals but from what i remember reading about them before is that we cant explain exactly what they were but to most they are viewed as game pcs the scratches could indicate use in gameplay as it was scooted around a surface or etc.....just a wild guess though and not a very good one ...those lines are very interesting.

Yep the lines have me scratching my head-thanks SOHIO

I added to my reply giving more logic behind it. Hope it helps..........................GTP(Chris)

I'm thinking a bead preform due to its size, before the drilling. The incised lines looks like they were trying to reduce its size. Discoidals are usually larger in size as well another reason i do not believe this is one. However it is a very nice find....Good eye!!.......................GTP(Chris)

makes a lot more sense ...I didnt notice how small that was

Yep the lines have me scratching my head-thanks SOHIO

I believe the incising might be part of the grinding process to reduce its size. Another indicator that this piece was probably going to be used as a Bead..................GTP

Get-the-point said:

Thanks Chris - that makes sense - it does appear that they were trying to reduce its size. It's the only piece that I've found with the incised lines .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back