Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"NC" Buckle

I dug this buckle at an old hotel site today. The hotel was built around 1827 or so, and burned in 1925. It was never rebuilt.
01-18-11-nc-buckle.jpg

I am curious if it has roots in the Civil War. There was no action that I know of in this area, but there were numerous militia and veterans' groups meetings at this old hotel.

Here is another picture with pennies for perspective:
01-18-11-finds.jpg

Any help in identifying the origin would be most welcome.

Re: "NC" Buckle

Someone on another forum suggested that the "cross" X behind the NC resembles the "X" on the Confederate flag.
Any thoughts??

Upvote 0

Would it be possible that this belt adjuster buckle might be from a workers uniform and the Initials is from the name of the Hotel ? If my Research is right, the Hotels initials would be C H and it's history would give the right time for the belt adjuster.

Nova Treasure

Upvote 0

nova treasure said:
Would it be possible that this belt adjuster buckle might be from a workers uniform and the Initials is from the name of the Hotel ? If my Research is right, the Hotels initials would be C H and it's history would give the right time for the belt adjuster.

Nova Treasure
CN maybe. I dont see an H.

Upvote 0

Monograms are tough but it has the angle like an N.

Attachments

• monogram-cna-red.jpg
    monogram-cna-red.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 212
  • monogram-cna-red.jpg
    monogram-cna-red.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

I am curious about the detail on the bottom tail of the C .. It looks like an "o" ..similar to the logo I have seen on dust covers from padlocks... Could it be N Co ?

Upvote 0

creskol said:
I am curious about the detail on the bottom tail of the C .. It looks like an "o" ..similar to the logo I have seen on dust covers from padlocks... Could it be N Co ?
Good observation.
Yes I think its a very good chance its "N. Co." but that doesnt make it any easier.
Probably the suspender manufacturer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back