Navy Master Chief Cufflink

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, you research deities, I found this today on a Naval Base. I know it is a Master Chief (E9) cufflink because I am a retired Master Chief and I know the symbol in the middle is definitely the rank symbol of a Master Chief. However, I am having a heck of a time trying to date it. I know the rank only came into existence in 1958. The "fouled anchor" has what appears to be a rope fouling it, not a chain. That usually means the insignia is older as all current ones that I am aware of have a chain vice the rope. But, alas, my researching skills have failed me and I can't determine a rough date. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Outside of this, I got skunked today except for about $8.00 worth of clad and a 1936 Wheat Penny in really bad shape. Thanks and HH. Brad

Attachments

• Navy Cuff Link (01).jpg
    Navy Cuff Link (01).jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Navy Cuff Link (02).jpg
    Navy Cuff Link (02).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 86
I forgot to say that around the insignia reads" United States Reserve Forces". I don't know if the picture is good enough to see it.... Brad

Upvote 0
Does it have a screw-back fastener? It looks like a lapel pin to me, and I would think it to be earlier than 1958... I wonder if the design wasn't rank specific before the pattern was designated to that rank?

Upvote 0
Does it have a screw-back fastener? It looks like a lapel pin to me, and I would think it to be earlier than 1958... I wonder if the design wasn't rank specific before the pattern was designated to that rank?

The picture isn't detailed, but it is definitely not a lapel pin. It is solid and has no screw back. The underside is about 1/8 inch lower than the top (which is what I took the picture of) and is about 2/3 the size of the top (picture). I thought maybe a lapel pin too initially, but it is solid with no perforations or blemishes; nothing that one could attach it with. also, prior to having the stars on either side of the top of the anchor, the plain fouled anchor was the sign of the Navy without regard to rank. However, I have never seen anything with the stars except for the Master Chief insignia. That's the thing about history though, sometimes we never really know. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow as well because I work with a lot of Navy folks. Heritage is a big thing in the military and I'll put it up as a challenge to find the answer. Hopefully between here and work I will find the answer. Thanks...Brad

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back