Navy Button?

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hello!

I dug this button on private property in Eugene Oregon. It is 24 millimeters in diameter. I assume it is a Navy button because of the flag & anchor theme. There's some lettering on the back, but all I can make out is ALBERT C. WILSON.

Can anyone tell me more about this button? How old is it? What years was this style made?

Thanks,
Neil

Attachments

• may1-2016buttonFRONT.jpeg
    may1-2016buttonFRONT.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 70
  • may1-2016buttonBACK.jpeg
    may1-2016buttonBACK.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Already kinda solved on... wait for it....

here it comes.....

TREASURENET!

With an added bonus link of:

Button link

Upvote 0
Already kinda solved on... wait for it....

here it comes.....

TREASURENET!

With an added bonus link of:

Button link

That helps with the backmark.

Hey GIB. Long time. You didnt really send me a revenge virus last year, like your friend suggested, did you? just asking. Well it was a very aggravating one. It took me 7-8 months and i think I finally removed it. None of the virus removal tools would touch it and I tried them all. My CD drive still keeps popping open but thats minor and Im back online at TN. Your friend sugggested that I ask you how to remove it but of course I refused.

Upvote 0
I found an anchor/flag button on the Waterbury site, its not a match but its close and it doesnt say the name of the steamship/cruise line that may have used it. Flag w/ anchor - Waterbury Button

Its definitely not US Navy or British Navy as its not a fouled anchor (with rope)

button odd coins.jpegbutton flag anchor.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Colchester (England) Treasure Hunters website has a British Navy buttons ID section.
Navy buttons
Scroll about 2/3 of the way down that webpage, look on the left in the section titled "Non Royal Navy" buttons, and you'll see it shows an exact match (including the "oversize" rope border) for the button found by Oddcoins. The ID under the photo says "MN [Merchant Navy] Anchor-Line / In use 1900-1960s / Maker: Waterbury".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I remember that website. Its a good one. I guess some of the Royal Navy anchors are depicted without the rope. I believe all US Navy anchors are fouled but the British Navy has so many.

Upvote 0
The Colchester (England) Treasure Hunters website has a British Navy buttons ID section.
Navy buttons
Scroll about 2/3 of the way down that webpage, look on the left in the section titled "Non Royal Navy" buttons, and you'll see it shows an exact match (including the "oversize" rope border) for the button found by Oddcoins. The ID under the photo says "MN [Merchant Navy] Anchor-Line / In use 1900-1960s / Maker: Waterbury".

I think thats it. MN Anchor Line. The Anchor Line Triplets: Octorara, Juniata, and Tionesta ? Zenith City Online

button MN anchor Line.jpgAnchor-Line-TSS-California-Oceanliner-1920-era-Postcard.jpg

Upvote 0
But the according to the button backmark, it was made in London. Check this out. "The beginnings of Anchor Line Ltd can be seen in 1838 when two brothers, Nicol and Robert Handyside, established themselves in Glasgow, Scotland, as shipbrokers and merchants."

History - The Anchor Line

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back