mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20160410_172902.jpg
    20160410_172902.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
It is a US Coast Guard button, from sometime between 1915 and 1941, because the eagle is facing toward the eagle's left. (After 1941 the eagle faces frontward.) To time-date it any more narrowly than that, we need to see a well-focused closeup photo of its back. Does it have a backmark, and if so, please tell us what it says.

Upvote 0
20160410_190749.jpg

Not sure if this is good enough. I cleaned it with warm water after I dug it and that's it. I don't know how to properly clean it so I left it just like this.

Upvote 0
I love that story 1730 house the ocean house being fired on, what a awesome place to hunt.Good job!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I can see just enough letters to tell that your US Coast Guard button's backmark is "Wanamaker & Brown" and probably also says "Phila." for Philadelphia PA. That company was in business from the 1860s through 1995, so unfortunately the backmark doesn't narrow down your button's time-period.

I forgot to mention in my previous reply that your button is shown as button FD-14 on page 277 in the book "Record Of American Uniform And Historical Buttons, Bicentennial Edition" by Alphaeus H. Albert.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can see just enough letters to tell that your US Coast Gurad button's backmark is "Wanamaker & Brown" and probably also sdays "Phila." for Philadelphia PA. That company was in business from the 1860s through 1885, so unfortunatley the backmark doesn't narrow down your button's time-period.

I forgot to mention in my previous reply that your button is shown as button FD-14 on page 277 in the book "Record Of American Uniform And Historical Buttons Bicentennial Edition" by Alphaeus H. Albert.

Thank you so much for your help. This is why I love this forum!

Upvote 0
You've got this discussion-thread marked "Solved" but I hope you take one more look at it. I made a serious typo-error in my previous reply. I typed 1885 when I meant to type 1995. I fixed the error. Hopefully my reply makes more sense now.

A big thank-you to my friend Nhbenz for sending me a heads-up about the typo.

Upvote 0
You've got this discussion-thread marked "Solved" but I hope you take one more look at it. I made a serious typo-error in my previous reply. I typed 1885 when I meant to type 1995. I fixed the error. Hopefully my reply makes more sense now.

A big thank-you to my friend Nhbenz for sending me a heads-up about the typo.

Yeah the first dates you put didn't make sense, but I am just happy to know the button is a Coast Guard button from between 1915-1941.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back