Navy Button???

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
I found this very nice button today at an 1800s home site. It was about 6" down. It is cuff size, the shank is still intact and the back stamp is only partially legible. I would like to think that this is an old button but I am going to have to rely on your expertise to determine that. Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image-2433270079.jpg
    image-2433270079.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-89450179.jpg
    image-89450179.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3563551903.jpg
    image-3563551903.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1729970418.jpg
    image-1729970418.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 88
Well it's a Marine Corps button, but I can't read enough of the backmark to date it. More knowledgeable folks might be able to distinguish a timeframe based on the construction. This pattern was introduced in 1821 and is still used today (I believe). The early ones were one-piece construction, so it's not one of those. My guess would be WWI, but that's only a guess.
It may be brought up that it has a blackened finish, which if it were an Army button would have relevance to the date, but the Marine Corps has had this finish on their buttons for a much wider period of time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, that would make sense. It matches the time period of coins that I am finding in that yard. Not as cool as Civil War but still cool! Thanks so much for your help as usual!

Upvote 0
The backmark on your cuff-size US Marines button appears to be "D.EVANS & CO. AT". That company went out of business in 1945. As Nhbenz mentioned, like US Army buttons, US Marines buttons had "black finish" on their front from the World War One era into 1923. According to our fellow T-Net poster Dug, who is a former Marine, the US Marine Corps returned to using "black finish" buttons in 1971. Because your button's D. Evans & Co backmark means it cannot have been manufactured after 1945, you found one of the WW1-1923 US Marines "black finish" buttons.

Upvote 0
The backmark on your cuff-size US Marines button appears to be "D.EVANS & CO. AT". That company went out of business in 1945. As Nhbenz mentioned, like US Army buttons, US Marines buttons had "black finish" on their front from the World War One era into 1923. According to our fellow T-Net poster Dug, who is a former Marine, the US Marine Corps returned to using "black finish" buttons in 1971. Because your button's D. Evans & Co backmark means it cannot have been manufactured after 1945, you found one of the WW1-1923 US Marines "black finish" buttons.

The CannonballGuy, I only wish I had a fraction of the knowledge you have on buttons and early ordnance. :notworthy: Accurate as always.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back