Natural Rock or ???

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, I found this rock sticking out the side of a hill deep in the woods. It was found in an area where we've found a lot of copper Native American artifacts. Not sure if this is natural or if it was altered for some type of tool or something. Thanks -Jay 001.JPG

Attachments

• Indian Rock 001.JPG
    Indian Rock 001.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Indian Rock 002.JPG
    Indian Rock 002.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
It was definitely drilled or honed out but for what purpose it is hard to say! Possibly to grind up small items such as herbs and spices for cooking but could have been created for some other use. I am sure that some Experts in Native American Indian artifacts will be along soon with the correct answer!

Frank

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response Frank. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I can try, I'll do my best.

Upvote 0
I added a pic of the inside to the top post. I rinsed it out with water as it was caked with dirt and sand.

Upvote 0
Looks natural to me. Is the inside diameter larger than the diameter of the opening? If so its natural.

Upvote 0
There is no telling what it was made for, I don't think it is made by nature. It is an artifact for sure in my book. Super cool find:notworthy:

Upvote 0
we find a lot of stones with natural holes like that one. here are a few questions.... does it stand up straight and stable with the hole centered on top? is the hole "drilled" straight or does it angle to one side or the other? Does it fit in your hand pointing hole up or hole down? does i have a flat base?

the hole seems too big for a drill cap but too small for a paint pot and too deep and narrow for a "nutting stone".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back