Native stone artifact

NYI

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
First post here, thanks for taking a look. I found this out on a hike yesterday and was curious as to what it was and the approximate age. Found in SW Ontario, 3.5"
Any help is appreciated.

20150511_114306.jpg

Sorry, but I don't think it's an artifact.
Not a very nice way to welcome you to T-Net, but it looks to me like a naturally shaped chunk of basalt.

Upvote 0
No problem, thanks for the reply. To my untrained eye, it looked like like a tool of some sort because the top convex edge has a smoother surface from wear. Not disappointed, actually happy I came across this site.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Yeah, just from the pic it just looks like a rock. However, sometimes you can't tell a lot from one pic. You might try posting it in the North American Indian artifacts forum on here. Very sharp folks on there. Maybe a couple more pics, little closer up, so they can see if it looks like any intentional flaking. Also the context in which it was found is helpful. What made you believe it was an artifact? A known archaeological site maybe, or have you found some points or stone tools there before? All that info is helpful to those guys. Don't be disappointed if it does turn out to be just a rock, keep looking!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. Just posted in NA Indian artifacts forum with better pics. No disappointment either way because I was introduced to this fantastic site.

Upvote 0
Hard to tell by the picture; however, if the elongated bottom portion of the item has a sharp edge to it, it might be an Indian scraping tool.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back