mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently found a map of trails with a little info about who, how, when & why of native american routes. on my neighbors property there is an old road he called the iron cart road, in the book it was said the old indian trails were referred to as iron trails. I thought since we live in the lead belt of the country, that iron road was because this was the road they used to carry the ore to smelters, now I am wondering if it might be older than I suspected. does anyone know of a good site to identify old trails or roads?

where are you located? If you are in the lead belt area then I would say that the road can be quite old. I have lots of maps of old roads in Missouri. Only Indian road that I know of is the Natchitoches trail which is the same as the old military road which runs from Cape G. South crossing at Currentview, Mo. This was also used in the Trail of Tears.

I live in between Fredericktown & Cape Girardeau. Some people say a part of the Trail of Tears is close to us, but I haven't found it on any map. but I feel all local legends are worth checking out. The trail I have access to spans several miles, though it has been plowed at some points. Would be interested in looking at your maps. Do you have a scanner? & do you live in MO?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back