Native American plow?

Ramswin

Apr 3, 2011
This is being offered at a auction this afternoon.
It is described as a Native American plow.
What should I look for to determine if it is indeed what they say it is?
Also what would be a reasonable bid were it to be the real thing?
Thanks for any help offered.

Attachments

• fi349.cgi.jpg
    fi349.cgi.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 694
it looks more like a native american dagger board for a native american sailboard to me.never heard of a stone plow

Upvote 0
Never heard of one before,but I guess it is possible?that would be something else there,Now I have to go to the forum and see what they have to say about it.Gonna make some popcorn for this one

Upvote 0
Look at the size and weight of that thing. The Natives didn't have horses or cows to pull a plow with and I don't think humans could pull it. I think it is just a cool rock.

Upvote 0
Sure looks like a natural rock to me, but I'm no expert
you can look at a rock and see anything you want to believe
IMO
Bradyboy

Upvote 0
Just a rock, there is no wear on it...

Upvote 0
Look at the size and weight of that thing. The Natives didn't have horses or cows to pull a plow with and I don't think humans could pull it. I think it is just a cool rock.
lol, that would be a lunker for anything to pull through the ground.I don't think it would be too far fetched to think the natives might have used that ingenuity in some places though,I would imagine people have domesticated beasts since forever, buffalo are native to North America.

Upvote 0
lol, that would be a lunker for anything to pull through the ground.I don't think it would be too far fetched to think the natives might have used that ingenuity in some places though,I would imagine people have domesticated beasts since forever, buffalo are native to North America.

No record by early explorers of indians ever using a plow at all....

Upvote 0
No record by early explorers of indians ever using a plow at all....
I can't argue with that.It would make since that if the ancients did practice it,then that practice would have been continued and would have been noted.Good point!~It does make me wonder why the natives here didn't?

Upvote 0
I can't argue with that.It would make since that if the ancients did practice it,then that practice would have been continued and would have been noted.Good point!~It does make me wonder why the natives here didn't?
If they were doing so it would have been noted by the early explorers, trappers and frontiersmen, it would also have been noted by the artists of the day who were documenting the native American at that time in their artwork...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

natives had plenty of horses depending where they were at, though I do admit I've never heard of a native american plow.

Upvote 0
horses were a very late development among native Americans....and they were not used as draft animals except by a very few groups on the east coast who were doing their best at adopting new techniques...(as in Cherokee)

Upvote 0
First time I ever heard of a Native American plow. I think they were more likely to scratch the ground with fire hardened sticks, not a rock plow.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back