Native american artifact?

bblaha

Jul 25, 2012
I looked up some maps at the Cincinnati museum center of Indian trails around my house because Iv been finding a lot of artifacts lately. Iv found points, axe heads, mauls and grindstones, and hammer stones. Then I came across this and I have no idea what it is. It's a stone tablet roughly a foot tall and 6 inches wide, it has what almost look like muddabbers nests on the front but inbetween each row of formations are 2 lines that are clearly man made. The back side is an orange color like its been burned and has the same lines up on the top right hand corner. I have no idea what this is but it is obviously old and it is not concrete so don't say it's modern lol. Any information would be great thanks. This was found in a creek that leads to the Ohio river in Cincinnati ohio right after it rained for about 2 hours.

Attachments

• image-3538851335.jpg
    image-3538851335.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 370
  • image-147289784.jpg
    image-147289784.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 256
  • image-2252737369.jpg
    image-2252737369.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 269
  • image-3629624759.jpg
    image-3629624759.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 184
Looks like a piece of pottery, possibly used to burn something. I'm certainly not educated on indian artifacts, just a logical assumption.

Upvote 0
Are you sure it is not pottery? Looks to be paddled. They would carve a pattern on a piece of wood and stamp or paddle the pottery and then stick inscise it. This gave a design and texture to hold on to as the pots got greasy.It also identified that group of people. Sometimes the pattern is as simple as a corn cob or a stick wrapped in hemp. The guys from artifacts are pretty good. Try them. Good luck and that is to cool to not identify.
HH
TnMtns

Upvote 0
The parallel lines & pattern on pics 1 & 4 look like imprints from metal lath and the lines on pics 2 & 3 look like they were made with a grooved trowel (see pics of lath & a trowel)

my guess is that it is mortar or a wall tile which was covered with another tile - just a guess though

B18FlatRib.giftrowel.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back