Native American arrowheads and chips/flakes

tacokit

Mar 21, 2022
Near Philadelphia
Upvote 2
Short answer... Yes it is debitage from the knapping process. Many prospective points are prepared in one place then finished in another. Quarried pieces are sometimes brought from miles away then further refined. Some were lost there, some were left there and some were broken there and abandoned. It is also a sign that a camp may have been nearby.

Look up " Flint knapping " videos on youtube, & you will see how it is done, & why flakes are left in the area.

I have yet to find an arrowhead... or other lithic tool but I have found MANY lithic flake scatters. When walking known Indian trails, be mindful of those areas just off of the trails/paths. The Indians apparently often made the tool right where they found a good rock and took the finished product with them, leaving the flakes. I have found dozens of flake scatters around the areas where I found the Indian rock circles between Cibola and Yuma Arizona. ( see previous posts) I am still looking for my first point/tool in this area! ╦╦C

I have found lots of broken points mixed in with debitage. I think they were rehafting the brokes right there as they were making the new ones. Most brokes were bases.
NN, I just reread the ARP Act of 1979. May I presume I can STILL collect arrowheads found on the surface of public lands? Tnx! You know I follow your posts, my friend. ╦╦C

I have yet to find an arrowhead... or other lithic tool but I have found MANY lithic flake scatters. When walking known Indian trails, be mindful of those areas just off of the trails/paths. The Indians apparently often made the tool right where they found a good rock and took the finished product with them, leaving the flakes. I have found dozens of flake scatters around the areas where I found the Indian rock circles between Cibola and Yuma Arizona. ( see previous posts) I am still looking for my first point/tool in this area! ╦╦C
How long has it taken you to not find an arrowhead or other lithic tool? Knowing just a little of the history of Arizona, you are just not looking in the right places or you haven't yet developed "The Eye" for them.

How long has it taken you to not find an arrowhead or other lithic tool? Knowing just a little of the history of Arizona, you are just not looking in the right places or you haven't yet developed "The Eye" for them.
I will write it off as not having "the eye". The flakes are there, the potsherds are there, the rock circles... just not seeing the points. ╦╦C

Found a lot of flakes in a Chickasaw camp in north Miss., along with complete points. It was a long standing camp area for them on the high banks of a river. How long they were there, I've no guess but all the resources (water/food) were there to facilitate home life a long time. I suggest to search the high ground. Flakes are clues to other artifacts nearby, eh.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back