Napoleonic Medal - need more expertise on this piece

M3R1IN

Oct 6, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, stock and DD coil
I had this posted in "best finds" but im not getting any feedback so i thought i'd have better luck here
heres one of my finest pieces from my collection, i originally thought it was a coin until i had part of the inscription translated by a french teacher at high school
It seems to be a commemorative medal from the napoleonic wars
on the face side it has a relief of napoleon with a crown of what i assume are olive leaves
the inscription reads "napoleon emp. et roi." meaning Napoleon, emperor and king
the reverse has a scene depicting what i think is napoleon piloting a chariot pulled by 2 horses
there is what appears to be an angel flying overhead holding a branch and 2 small figures kneeling with their arms raised under the horses
the inscription beneath the scene reads:
XVII OCTOBER MDCCCV
CAPITULATION
D'ULM DE MENNINGEN(could be MENNINGER or MERRINGEN)
IX or VX MILLE PRISONNIERS
there is also some smaller writing around the rim below the main inscription i havent been fully able to make out yet
but could read something like: JAVES or JALES then a number maybe XI orXV then DEN DIR
heres some photos too
It seems to refer to the Battle of Ulm in Austria which occurred on the date above being October 17 1805
the austrian army Capitulated or surrendered to napoleon and thousands of prisoners were taken
The piece originally had small fleur de lis attached all around the rim of the medal but when i acquired the piece only 4 remained intact and during a scuffle with my brothers friend who took the piece the remaining ones broke off, i have arranged them as they would have looked in one of the pictures
I hope you guys like it, anyone with further info would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,298
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 778
It is a medal commemorating the surrender of Ulm and Memmingen. It was made in 1805 in France and is made of bronze:

"Medal commemorating the surrender of Ulm and Memmingen. Obverse: Head of Napoleon laureate. Legend: 'NAPOLEON. EMP. ET ROI'. Reverse: Napoleon driving a two-horse chariot, winged Victory above, holding a laurel wreath and palm. Below the bellies of the galloping horses, the tiny figures of two kneeling women in mural crowns representing the captured cities. Exergue: 'XVII OCTOBRE MDCCCV CAPITULATION D'ULM . DE . MEMMINGEN LX MILLE . PRISONNIERS'."

Upvote 0
How do u know so much about this piece?
I dont think its made of bronze because its silver in color not yellow like bronze and the small fleur de lis that have broken off
show silver color through and through not like it is bronze plated in another metal
Do u have any idea on where i could get further information on this piece?
thanks

Upvote 0
There is any number of reasons why yours may not be bronze - it may have been plated and had other decorations added or yours may be a later reproduction. Either way it is a great piece and a wonderful addition to any collection.

How do I know about these things - in the main I don't know a thing about them. I am however constantly challenged at work on a military history forum where there are a lot of 'what is this' quizes and have honed my research skills accordingly. I generally look for key identifying features, dates and phrases and search on them refining the search as I go. In this case if you searched for 'battle of Ulm", search within results for 'Napoleon' and then 'medal' you have exactly the information I posted.

Some medals have different shapes, different colours and presentation styles of ribbons (ribands), monarch heads, crowns and symbols. If you start to recognise different features it gives you clues to the hunt. Sometimes its hours of fun/frustration but what the hell it fills in the time ;D

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for your guys help and info on the piece
this piece has been eating at me for years and the lack of anyone around here who
knows anything about such specimens is most frustrating
Maybe i should take it to the Antiques roadshow somebody there ought to know about it
i wonder if its valuable at all... not that i'd dream of selling it
hmmm...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back