Namster: Coinstar load headed off at the pass

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In conversation with a family member I learned that he had a bunch of old coins from a deceased relative. He said he planned to dump them in a coinstar so I offered to go through them and pick out the ones he should get more than face for. There were pennies, dimes, and nickels. The pennies were uneventful (all wheats though, but no key dates). Dimes and Nickels were amazing.

Totals:

War Nickels: 105
Dimes: 112

Also one standing quarter was mixed in with the nickels.

We agreed on splitting the silver value, so I will be paying him for the silver. Win win for everyone. :icon_thumleft:

coinsi.jpg

Lucky you foiled his original plan (of dumping them in a coin star machine). Im sorry to say this but he must have been a real noob, if he was going to take these too a coin star machine despite the obvious difference in looks (as in the mercury dimes) from the money he sees on a daily basis. Hopefully, he'll be on the lookout from now on for silver coinage.

The fact is most people dont care about old coins or even know what dates are silver. This is why we find so many silvers in boxes.

In conversation with a family member I learned that he had a bunch of old coins from a deceased relative. He said he planned to dump them in a coinstar so I offered to go through them and pick out the ones he should get more than face for. There were pennies, dimes, and nickels. The pennies were uneventful (all wheats though, but no key dates). Dimes and Nickels were amazing.

Totals:

War Nickels: 105
Dimes: 112

Also one standing quarter was mixed in with the nickels.

We agreed on splitting the silver value, so I will be paying him for the silver. Win win for everyone. :icon_thumleft:

Wondering where you have been lol.

No need for you to pay his half, I will gladly cover those costs along with shipping and save you the hassle.

Win Win! nice job Namster! HH, Maverick.

Wondering where you have been lol.

No need for you to pay his half, I will gladly cover those costs along with shipping and save you the hassle.

Family keeping me busy, and work. Im oly doing 6-8 boxes of halves a week these days, and very minimal finds.

I am buying the coins from him for half spot, thats what I meant.

Too bad coinstar would have rejected all that silver, then someone else would have gotten them:find:

coinstar wouldn't have taken the dimes. The war nickels since the silver content is smaller, I'm not sure about. I don't plan on sacraficing my hard won war nickels trying that. but still really really good job at saving him time, and gas money and probably teaching him something about coinage.

Congrats on the save and the find.
See ya,
Garoulady

dude that is awesome. My grandparents on my fathers side had coins saved up for years, and when my Gpa went into an expensive nursing home, I told her I would exchange all her coins for cash with no coinstar fees, if I could look through them first. 1 '64 out of $700 worth lol. my grandpa must have a secret stash somewhere. anyways she was happy, she thought the $600 in coins was probably worth (based on an eye estimate) like fifty bucks!

Fantastic deal you found.. Nice to see you post Namster it's been awhile.

coinstar wouldn't have taken the dimes. The war nickels since the silver content is smaller, I'm not sure about. I don't plan on sacraficing my hard won war nickels trying that. but still really really good job at saving him time, and gas money and probably teaching him something about coinage.

Congrats on the save and the find.
See ya,
Garoulady

It would take the war nickels because war nickels are specifically designed to have both the same weight and electromagnetic signature of a "normal" nickel, that's why it uses manganese. The "golden" dollars use manganese in them too to have the electromagnetic signature of a copper-nickel SBA dollar. The alloy of silver/manganese reacting to elements is what turns the nickels an ugly greenish color when in circulation, it is also why a "golden" dollar will quickly turn black with any sort of light circulation. In the same way, British 50% silver coins have manganese and these will turn that same greenish color as war nickels due to the manganese.

Generic_Lad said:
It would take the war nickels because war nickels are specifically designed to have both the same weight and electromagnetic signature of a "normal" nickel, that's why it uses manganese. The "golden" dollars use manganese in them too to have the electromagnetic signature of a copper-nickel SBA dollar. The alloy of silver/manganese reacting to elements is what turns the nickels an ugly greenish color when in circulation, it is also why a "golden" dollar will quickly turn black with any sort of light circulation. In the same way, British 50% silver coins have manganese and these will turn that same greenish color as war nickels due to the manganese.

Interesting. Thinking about it, I don't remember anyone ever talking about finding a war nick in a coinstar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back