Nails for what??

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these three nails in an area where some horse tack was found. Problem is, I can't seem to find out if these are shoeing nails or something else. They appear to be hand made, possibly bronze or brass...nonmagnetic ,inch and an eighth long.Cool looking nails, whatever they are. Thanks for looking, vn

DSC09220.JPG

Upvote 0
I don't know for sure, as they no doubt are designed for a specialty purpose. Could they be made of copper? Maybe for attaching the copper sheathing to the hull of a wooden ship :dontknow:
The Sterling: Lost But Not Forgotten

Attachments

• copper shething.jpg
    copper shething.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
Masonry nails, vanzutphen

Don't think so, they don't appear to be a hardened metal for penetrating concrete. and the beveled head doesn't make sense for that purpose, at least from what I know.

Upvote 0
Was there or could there have been a building on/around the site? Copper slate roofing nails............??

Upvote 0
Yes there was a structure there in the mid to late 1800s but long gone. Searched it pretty thoroughly and these were the only nails found of this type. All within 15 feet of each other. They look to have been dropped nails,never driven. If they were from some roof, I would think there would have been more scattered all over.

Upvote 0
Newer style saddle nails often have a couple ring shanks and are round rather than fluted like the o.p. pic. .Other wise a possibility.
If they are easily malleable maybe they passed through holes in leather,a washer or washers added to one or bothsides and narrow end was peened and the fluted shank spread in a more predictable fashion?

Upvote 0
Although I haven't tried bending one, I do not think they are as malleable as perhaps copper would be. But yes, the fluting and the beveled heads must indicate a particular use, I am sure.

Upvote 0
Kinda reminds me of "drive pins" like attaches plates to machinery, well along those lines. I realize these are nails.

Upvote 0
Maybe cobbler nails for human shoes.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back