Maine

Attachments

• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 621
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 624
I would say if the "3" or "8" star is a bit bigger than the "2" star. (If I am seeing them right), they are probably some type of mold. If that is the case, you have a half of two different molds probably of a 2 gram or oz and 3 or 8 gram or oz weight of some sort. I am not sure what use a lead star or other molten metal star would be but that would be the only use I could see for something that has a hollow cavity and comes in half. The pins shown on the inside would hold the halves together. Not sure how the molten metal would get inside. Usually there would be a small opening when the halves are together but I can't determine that from your pics.

Good luck. Interesting pieces.

Upvote 0
Upon close inspection, I'm not sure about the mold idea. I think the volume of the star area is the same. The weight is different. The one marked 3 is 1-7/8 oz. the one marked 2 weighs 1-3/8 oz. I would think that a mold would be easier by not having the curved shape to them. This picture shows that alot better.
Who knows.

Attachments

• star.jpg
    star.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0
They look like botton covers, kinda... or, something that would slide "over" or "on top of" something and were held in place by those pins in back.

No clue about the numbers... usually something like that would indicate a size.

Upvote 0
I see what you mean about the curve. Got me!

Upvote 0
I have a positive id on the mysterious star thingys. I took a shot in the dark and e-mailed the National Museum Of Horseshoeing Tools in Oklahoma. http://www.horseshoeingmuseum.com/
The owner of the museum, Lee Liles has told me that they are absolutely "Hoof Weights" They would be fixed to the hoof in some way to help get a proper balance.

Upvote 0
Learn somethin new every day here !

Attachments

• toe_(2).jpg
    toe_(2).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
vondrewvious said:
Dug these today from a site that dates late 1800's and is out behind the stables.
Any ideas?
Hi Vondrewvious, great ID made on your item, I am sure you are happy with it. These guys are amazing.
But if you would do us a favor next time, read the first message in the "What is It" folder, it would make
the determination of a find much easier. (size, weight, metal sort, etc....):

When posting in "What Is It?", please give members the information they need to help identify your find:

1. Post sharp closeup photos of both the front and the back.

2. State the actual size of the item. Also, if possible, put something with it in the photo for scale: a common U.S. coin, a ruler, etc.

3. If there are any inscriptions which cannot be easily read in the photos, type them in full in your post.

4. If there are maker's marks, numbers, symbols, or other marks on the back which are not easily seen in the photo, post a closeup or a drawing of them.

5. Indicate the composition of the item. For example: "thin brass, filled with lead on the back."

Do not deliberately withhold any information just to "have fun" seeing if members can guess correctly.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back