Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This thing is just gone. I’m hoping someone will recognize the ridges on the edge to help with an ID. Or maybe see something I don’t on see either side. CEB89E02-E25C-47E2-B934-50AD98198EB7.jpegA1A3C1EA-3605-43B0-9948-7A4E1EB92F31.jpeg78799FC6-5E93-4959-A4D6-0CA158B76A2E.jpeg

Last edited:
That thing is toast does it look like a RR track coin can you make out any letters or anything or is it totally mashed. Very interesting

Upvote 0
That thing is toast does it look like a RR track coin can you make out any letters or anything or is it totally mashed. Very interesting
I can’t make out anything that I can put a finger on. Maybe the remnants of design here or there. The edge patter will be the key...

Upvote 0
It’s roughly the size of a quarter. It’s about 1/3 as thick.

Upvote 0
I am guessing it is a quarter or a silver dollar if they, too had the ridges in the edges.

Upvote 0
It looks like a 1942 over 41 merc.... or could be 1916d

JK but I would say it was a dime and someone hammered it out flat for some reason.

Upvote 0
Keep in mid, when a coin is flattened either by hammering or on a RR track, the diameter of the coin will increase. It may also be a foriegn coin. It may not even be a coin but it has a reeded edge?

Upvote 0
I worked on this for a while yesterday. I can't make out a single detail with any surety - which surprises me. I seen any number of slick and/or toasty coins ID'd on this forum. There is always some definitive mark.

I played around with the pictures (well done except no size reference) in photo shop to try to bring out some detail. At one point my teenage son peeked over my should and asked, "Is that a moon rock?" ??? :laughing7:

Not a moon rock but still just as mysterious...

Upvote 0
Well I can just about rule out a rail car flattened dime. There is detail left on all the pics of those. Also they do not flatten out to this extent. It literally appears to have been sledge hammered flat. Notice how it kept a relatively uniform thickness though? That’s another clue it wasn’t from a rail car. One side always appears much thinner than the others as it gets spit out almost instantly by the caster. . I flattened quite a few clad coins growing up, with trains and hammers. Never looked like this. The ridges aren’t very distorted vertically either.... strange.

Upvote 0
OHHHH I THINK I GOT IT!! being a rural homesite, 1900s, what if a kid put a silver dime through a set of gears? Like from an implement, pump, or mill? A broad faced gear tooth would flatten it out and maybe just press away the detail

Upvote 0
OK. Here's my best guess.

Barber dime. Maybe 1900.

barber dime compare.JPG

Upvote 0
Good work man. The only thing I would add is I bet it’s a merc. The barbers don’t have ridges on the edge

Barber dimes DO have a reeded edge. I just pulled one out of my finds box and looked at it with a magnifying glass.

barber dime close up.jpg

All US silver and gold coins have a reeded edge since the 1790's to prevent "skimming" of precious metal and then spending the coin at face value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it is toastanyway apply a bit of silver testing acid and let it sit in it for a bit. Rinse anf repeat until you see detail. When a coin is minted the deeper relief is hardened more than the higher relief so the acid will etch the softer material faster often leaving an image.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back