Mystery Rocks or Canister Shot or ???

SLSSLD

Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone! I am new to this site, but found some interesting rocks and can't figure out what they are. I can't find anything on the internet quite like them. Several people say they might be canister shot from the civil war, but the ones I've seen are so much smoother than these. The big one is especially lumpy. They are all very heavy and are not magnetic. Several little ones have some crystallization on the outside. They were found in the yard after excavating and pulling up grass to plant new grass. There actually have been more found by the excavators years ago when the house was first built, but they took them with them after they were done working. To me they don't look man made at all, but I am not an expert with anything having to do with the civil war. Geode has also been suggested, but they are SO heavy and I've never seen a geode that color. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Mystery Rocks.JPG
    Mystery Rocks.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 121
:wave: Welcome to TNET!

It may help if you give a general locality (state) where they were found.

Upvote 0
yeah thats not canister shot. Cannonballs are magnetic, what you have are called thunder rocks i believe. i wouldn't crack em open cause they're are not crystals inside as i learned. lol

Upvote 0
Donneybrook, were there anything inside yours? Wikipedia shows some with different interesting minerals in the middle.

Upvote 0
Sure looks like geodes to me. Cannister shot was not made out of stone.

Upvote 0
Donneybrook, were there anything inside yours? Wikipedia shows some with different interesting minerals in the middle.

Yes, there was a black mineral streak, but nothing spectacular.

Upvote 0
They look like garnets to me. Garnets form in a 12 sided crystal. Can you see any flat sides?

Upvote 0
Indian steve, Yes, the big one has a flat side.

Upvote 0
no, definitely a thunder rock or thunder egg. no disrespect intended for indian steve. look up images for them on google

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back