Mystery Question

cbankston

Apr 9, 2013
Im swinging through and old farm land, turned park, turned soccer complex. I get a signal like I just found a buried car about 1 foot from a tree base. I dig about a 6 inch plug, it's still dead center of plug hole, I dig about 6 more inches and the bottom falls out but still getting a screaming signal in hole. Now I end up with about a 1foot by 2foot deep hole, worried c ass use I'm digging in what I thought was land of lost because of the cavern that there. Still getting ass screaming signal dead center. Got pissed filled it in a left. Lol wth could it have been?

Coin_Peeper

Upvote 1
Lmao, I have no clue, It was only pop'n like a quarter on surface and in ground, strange as hell

Coin_Peeper

metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
I had the same problem. I dug and dug - kept getting a signal - had enough and filled in the hole. Well, the next day - just couldn't resist and went back to the tree. Dug another 6 or so inches and pulled up an Axe head!

My Guess.

you need to widen your hole.
odds are you have a Donut or Semi Donut & are digging through the Center.

You have a Cavern because the Object is acting like a roof.

Whatever it is, it won't be ordinary! While my son & I were detecting an old field, he dug deeply & hit a refrigerator lying on its side, lol. No hidden treasure in it either, lol. Andi

I grew up on a family farm here in NJ. When ever my Grandad had to "dispose" of something he would use the tractor or backhoe to dig a hole and literally buried whatever it was. His Dad had done the same. There are old car parts, appliances and even a small barn that was crushed by a fallen tree buried in various spots on that old place.

I was on a river bank once.. Had the same thing happen.. Was my first week of detecting.. It was dark and lashing rain... But I was determined to find what was there... After digging a hole about 4 ft wide and 5 ft deep I found a trailer... The tyres where still inflated... Lol.. I just fell back from exhaustion and thought... Man I love this hobby :p

Did you check the roots of the tree? Same thing happened to me and it turner out is was a pop tab that a root had grown through and it was now embedded in the root.
Run your hand along the underside of the root.

Did you check the roots of the tree? Same thing happened to me and it turner out is was a pop tab that a root had grown through and it was now embedded in the root.
Run your hand along the underside of the root.
Same thing just happened to me on one of the hunts I did up in Pa! Tree root had grown through the pull tab ring and I was digging under it for a while before I figured it out!
Couple pictures...

IMG_1412.JPGIMG_1411.JPG

I'll be looking for that again in the future!

I had this happen to me just once. Wish I could remember where. I could use a "new" car lol.

One of the things I encounter rather often lately is, I'll get a solid signal, dig a plug, and the tone vanishes. Not in the hole, nor the plug, nor my digging knife. In one such hole, I pulled a few brick fragments, and just chalked it up to a high mineralization.

I went 3 feet down for an aluminum hubcap once, it could also be an old sign.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back