Mystery NAVY anchor button - Button experts HELP!

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I found this Navy anchor button at an early US military site dating to the 1850's. Not to far away from this site was another early post occupied by the Hudson Bay Company. I searched Albert's book on US American Uniform and Historical Buttons but could not find an exact match. My guess is that this may be a British Navy button.

The button measures approximately 18mm appears to be made from brass and has no back mark (and is missing the shank). Any ideas on age and origin? Thanks for assisting me on this one!

Attachments

• DSC08411.JPG
    DSC08411.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC08412.JPG
    DSC08412.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 1,318
  • DSC08413.JPG
    DSC08413.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC08414.JPG
    DSC08414.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 405
Did you see my recent thread? My anchor button is similar to yours. The actual anchor is different, and mine has a rope/ woven background, but seems to be made the same way. Yours seems to be missing the back that mine has, but theyre both crimped around the back edge and seem to be made of the same material.

Upvote 0
I found the same button, missing the back...I am also trying to find info on it.

HH,

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi; Your button dates to the about the 1850's. It is a 2 piece button hence that is why the backing and shank are missing. It is brass as well ok. brass turns green just like copper does. Good luck oon the final ID ok. PEACE:RONB

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back