Mystery Native Artifact

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A section of field that hadn’t been plowed in about 10 years at my favorite native site had been plowed this past weekend so I played hookey from work and did the deed. I need a little more rain to really make it productive but I did find several rough quartz pieces including one nice little quartz point. The find of the day for me is the hardstone piece which looks to have been manufactured but I have no idea what it is or what it could have been used for…if anything.

If anyone has an opinion or idea on the nature of this piece I would greatly appreciate hearing it. Pics from all angles:

artifacts027.jpg

artifacts026.jpg

artifacts028.jpg

artifacts029.jpg

artifacts023.jpg

artifacts022.jpg

Last edited:
I know very little about this sort of thing. But given that it is hardstone and one end shows wear, don't you think it is a knapping tool?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I know very little about this sort of thing. But given that it is hardstone and one end shows wear, don't you think it is a knapping tool?

DCMatt

I think it's a little large for that...I'll do some checking in that direction!

Upvote 0
Romeo-1, You may have a Native American grinding stone pestle. It appears to have been smoothed on all corners and top/bottom surfaces. Nice score! Subterraneangrinding stone.jpg

Upvote 0
Wow! Those Native Americans sure did get around.

Hah! Now realizing that it is European, I guess it would be a Neanderthal grinding stone!

Upvote 0
Looks like a petrified large pink eraser to me... Maybe somebody needed to redo their cave drawings.

Upvote 0
Hey my friend I usually have back-up for ya in the rock dept., but I'm afraid not this time. I think you just happen to have a parallogram (spell check that). Keep in mind I don't know XXXX, Then again, most of the "experts" offer only "opinions" when it comes to some of this stuff. "If" the stone "feels" right in your hand, and you believe it was used, then perhaps it was, but I don't think you are going to get any concrete evidence of that from anywhere, or anyone.

Upvote 0
No problem Rick. I did take this to one of the geologists at the university where I work and he is quite sure that it is not natural. It's difficult to see in the pics but there is definite grinding visible. It's a rough piece as are the majority of pieces found in this field but I am quite sure it has been worked and shaped. Keep in mind that this isn't "just another field"...I've found hundreds of artifacts here including arrowheads, scrapers, knives, axes, adzes, a plummet, a ceremonial pieces, an etched hardstone piece and tons of native pottery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It might be a grinding stone, But it could also be a geofact. In 20 years of rockhunting I've seen alot of rocks that look like something and are just mother natures way of saying.....Got cha!! :laughing9: JMHO

Upvote 0
No problem Rick. I did take this to one of the geologists at the university where I work and he is quite sure that it is not natural. It's difficult to see in the pics but there is definite grinding visible. It's a rough piece as are the majority of pieces found in this field but I am quite sure it has been worked and shaped. Keep in mind that this isn't "just another field"...I've found hundreds of artifacts here including arrowheads, scrapers, knives, axes, adzes, a plummet, a ceremonial pieces, an etched hardstone piece and tons of native pottery.

OK then having found such a variety of other stuff in this location is good supportive evidence, and as you say holding it in your hand can see that it has been worked on. Just what the heck might it be ? they weren't growing corn and grinding it at this time were they ? Maybe it was a grindstone for shaping the slate ceremonial pieces.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back