🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Mystery item

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Went to my new spot near work. Found this brass item. A first sight
In ground thought it was a coat button than a charm for a necklace now I don't have a clue and no writing .' I figured a salt shaker wouldn't have a hole in middle lol. Water flowing through it? I k ow the tax tokens I've found close by had the square hole in middle. I don't know if that's related to it or not. Don't really have much to go off it .

Attachments

• IMG_6013.jpeg
    IMG_6013.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6014.jpeg
    IMG_6014.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
After looking the changeable discs or covers for meat to be pushed through it looks very possible.
Not sure about the old ones, but only grinder plates ive ever seen were made of steel. On a grinder the blade rides right behind the plate and think brass a bit soft for that. My head goes to part of an oil lamp, but don’t think that’s right because of the square hole.

Upvote 1
Can you post a photo showing the sideview (thickness)?
The square hole makes me think it may have fit over a valve stem, like on a water valve/sillcock or hose bib.
IMG_3388.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you post a photo showing the sideview (thickness)?
The square hole makes me think it may have fit over a valve stem, like on a water valve/sillcock or hose bib.View attachment 2160559
You can see a slight indentation circle around the square hole like something was on top. Telephone piece?

Attachments

• IMG_6024.jpeg
    IMG_6024.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6023.jpeg
    IMG_6023.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Upvote 0
You can see a slight indentation circle around the square hole like something was on top. Telephone piece?
That's a really good guess. It looks like the internal portion of the microphone/speaker of a telephone, but none of the examples I've seen have a square hole in the center.

Upvote 0
Wheel for toy car?

Upvote 0
Not sure about the old ones, but only grinder plates ive ever seen were made of steel. On a grinder the blade rides right behind the plate and think brass a bit soft for that. My head goes to part of an oil lamp, but don’t think that’s right because of the square hole.
Used to do that meat grinding in my folks grocery store. Like you said , stainless steel, maybe 3/8-1/4 thick, and much bigger.

Upvote 0
Looks like it could be half of something on a square shaft. Two of those back to back could form a tire rim or a pulley for a round drive belt. Looks like something smaller was attached to it in the center.

Upvote 0
Looks like the "plaster buttons" my great grandfather would use when when doing decorative plaster ceilings.

dz

Upvote 0
Looks like it could be half of something on a square shaft. Two of those back to back could form a tire rim or a pulley for a round drive belt. Looks like something smaller was attached to it in the center.
Yes the slight ring in the center , there was something there , may never know

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back