Mystery item- ornate metal plate

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this item in a field today. The field was used as a race track at some point in the 1800's then became a woods which was used by the local Catholic church for picnics. At the beginning of the 1900's it became a farm. That is all I know of the land use. The item is a slightly curved plate about 2.25 inches long and 1 inch wide. It is metal, but I do not know what kind (silver?) It has a very ornate design on the front and is blank on the back. The right side has a 1/4 inch vertical opening for a strap or latch attachment. The left end is slightly notched with two small tabs. Then entire piece has fold-over style tabs in the back. I haven't a clue as to what it may be from, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Mystery plate.jpg
    Mystery plate.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 118
  • Mystery plate back.jpg
    Mystery plate back.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 124
Just a guess, could it be a decoration that covers the front of a horse's hoof, just above the shoe?

Upvote 0
That would be cool. I am just at a loss right now. Thanks for your suggestion. You're the only one brave enough to venture a guess so far.

Upvote 0
I believe the back shows some base metal (copper?) peeking through, indicating it is plated, rather than solid silver.
And I do think there's some sort of marking on the back right side, in the dark area... But I'm probably known for seeing plenty of things that aren't there. None the less, it wouldn't hurt to clean the back and check. As a general rule cleaning antique silver doesn't hurt value, although personally I do like the contrast on the front side and I myself wouldn't clean that.

Upvote 0
My guess is that it's off a fancy saddle.

Upvote 0
nhbenz, I think it was a trick of the light. I've looked closer and still do not find a mark.

Upvote 0
That's what I was wondering. Is this a guess or are you pretty sure?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back