Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this in a farm field this past weekend and haven't a clue what it came from. Most of the finds from this short-lived early home site date from 1840 - 60, so I'm assuming this is from the same time frame. Any theories would be appreciated. The length is a little over 6", it's 1" wide and is fairly thick.

Thanks,
Dave

20240618_143118_resized.jpg
20240618_142358_resized.jpg
20240618_143054_resized.jpg
20240618_143101_resized.jpg
20240618_142829.jpg

It is intriguing Dave.. My thoughts [probably wrong] .. some type of striker plate or a wear point cover for something

Best

Micheal

Upvote 1
It is intriguing Dave.. My thoughts [probably wrong] .. some type of striker plate or a wear point cover for something

Best

Micheal
Thanks for your post and for sharing your theory Micheal. :thumbsup:
Hope you're doing well these days.
- Dave

Upvote 0
Weird whatever it is. Some holes look like the a drill bit walked before getting purchase. Some holes like there were several false starts before they decided where to drill.

For me if this was in my shed, I'd call it a sacrificial backer for drilling. That way when my bit exited the piece I'm actually drilling it didn't splinter on the backside etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 4
Dave, it looks like the prongs on the right side of the 2nd pic were inserted into a "base" and the tab on the opposite end was used to secure it. I realize this is vague - just trying to think how it could be used.

Upvote 1
Looks like a piece that gets inserted into something else. Like a box or something. The 2 little tabs get inserted into 2 holes on a box. Idk. That’s my thoughts.

Upvote 1
Weird whatever it is. Some holes look like the a drill bit walked before getting purchase. Some holes like there were several false starts before they decided where to drill.

For me if this was in my shed, I'd call it a sacrificial backer for drilling. That way when my bit exited the piece I'm actually drilling it didn't splinter on the backside etc.
Thanks for your post and for sharing your ideas Mike. :wave:
What doesn't make sense to me are the small round marks surrounding the drilled holes, these almost look like a flower.

Dave, it looks like the prongs on the right side of the 2nd pic were inserted into a "base" and the tab on the opposite end was used to secure it. I realize this is vague - just trying to think how it could be used.
Thanks for your post my friend. This piece certainly slotted or fit into something, but what? :icon_scratch:
Hope you're doin well,
Dave

Looks like a piece that gets inserted into something else. Like a box or something. The 2 little tabs get inserted into 2 holes on a box. Idk. That’s my thoughts.
Hi Benny, thanks for your post I appreciate you sharing your thoughts. :occasion14:

Also what are the two light color circular marks next to the one hole? Are they filled holes, or etched areas, or what....?
They look exactly like you say, holes that were drilled then filled back in.
Thanks again for your interest Mike.
- Dave

Upvote 1
Looks like one of those plates off of a sewing machine....below the needle but in the base
That's a great theory VN. I Googled 'antique sewing machine table' and found similar looking examples. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Since we're just guessing at this point, I'm guessing that it was template or drilling guide, made to lock into position to insure accuracy. As needs warranted some holes were filled and repositioned/resized. Looks like some of the holes got much more use.

Upvote 0
A portion of an internal mechanism of a clock that would hold the cogs in place?
Did you show the back side?
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/204390564077
s-l1600.webp

Also what are the two light color circular marks next to the one hole? Are they filled holes, or etched areas, or what....?
Those look like they are brass "rivets". A hole was drilled into the brass plate and a brass pin would be inserted into it. The end of that pin would be peened over and then would be ground down flush with the surface of the plate.
Here is an example from Clickspring's Clips channel:

The one hole with the partial holes around it look like the tried to "stack" or compress the pin in place.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back