mystery arrowhead

ObsidianQueen

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I arrowhead hunt in the Owens Valley in California often, and two years ago I found a BEAUTIFUL obsidian arrowhead. (may be a spear point or something, i just don't know what to call it so...) I don't have any pics but it is about the size of my middle finger long, thin, and narrow. it has a shape VERY similar to clovis arrowheads, but the sides are less curved. The attaching end is EXACTLY like that of a typical clovis and side my family has 50+ arrowheads (mostly broken or incomplete) and I have never seen this base before I thought I would ask. I would LOVE to be able to date it tentatively but the closest thing I have found is the clovis. I don't think clovis people lived in california. Any thoughts? i will try to post pics soon if you want.
ps this past year i found ANOTHER perfect arrowhead at the SAME SITE! it is small and looks like a typical, triangular, more modern arrowhead.

I saw a show several years ago where they were determining the age of obsidian arrow heads. Something changed on the surface after it was split from the host rock and exposed to air. That's about all I can remember. I think it was on PBS, maybe it was Nova. Maybe you can find it in their archives.

Upvote 0
I think you need some pictures to get an answer (really badly):dontknow:
please!
Doolin88

Upvote 0
Look on ebay for Overstreet guide to American Indian projectile points....HH

Plus you might post a picture of your find on the Indian Artifact Forum here those guy's are sharp as a tack!........HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, can anyone identify, type? Age? Found in the creek.

Attachments

• image-2882643676.jpg
    image-2882643676.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back