Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detected a 19th century homesite to and had two mystery finds. The first is a letter 'L' made of brass and filled with lead. The second is a hollow lead disk that fit inside a concave brass piece. Any ideas? I'm guessing the letter 'L' may have been attached to a saddle or bridle.
IMG_8201.JPGIMG_8202.JPGIMG_8204.JPG

Thanks firemanphob! If so, these go in with one other bridel rosette I've dug on this part of the property.

Upvote 0
I tend to agree with that. If the letter is small it's possible it's a CW kepi hat letter, but almost all were not lead filled.

Upvote 0
What the finder described as a "hollow lead disk that fit inside a concave brass piece" is a clock pendulum weight. The pendulum's metal shaft, which was shaped like a miniature long 2x4 board, fit through the tunnel in the disc. Yours is a very simple, non-ornate version. The photos below shows some ornate ones, and some plain ones like yours. They date from the mid-1800s into the early 1900s, after which time, most "wind-up" clocks were superseded by electric ones… but some are still being made today, for wealthy folks who like antique-style clocks.

Attachments

• clock-pendulums_group_Ebay_s-l1600.jpg
    clock-pendulums_group_Ebay_s-l1600.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 90
  • clock-pendulum-weights_fronts_TN_postedbyTimekiller_1.jpg
    clock-pendulum-weights_fronts_TN_postedbyTimekiller_1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
I'm curious as to the measurements of your letter 'L'? :icon_scratch:
I've seen letters similar to this before, but they were attached to a tractor.

As you mentioned, due to the bent over pins it was more likely attached to leather.
Great I.D. on the clock pendulum by TheCannonballGuy! :notworthy:

Ok, I've learned something new today, now I can go back to bed. :laughing7:
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Antiquarian. Letter measures 1 and 5/8ths inch square, height and width, so unlikely an insignia.

Upvote 0
Thank TheCannonballGuy. Very complete description on the lead weight. The weight is shaped like a convex lens and is hollow in the middle with an opening at both ends along the midline and a hole in the middle, as if to accept something like a wooden rod.

Upvote 0
Thanks smokey. Very cool to get these artifacts. Everyone has a story to tell. Site dates from 1830.

Upvote 0
Thanks Antiquarian. Letter measures 1 and 5/8ths inch square, height and width, so unlikely an insignia.

You're right of course, hopefully someone here will recognize exactly what you've got here. :thumbsup:
Dave

Upvote 0
One never knows how reliable auction attributions might be, but these were described as:

Group of Four Early US Military Cap Letters. 1½" high of heavy stamped brass, lead filled. Brass wire prongs on the reverse for attachment. Exhibiting some oxidation else perfect condition. Probably C. 1835, but possibly earlier. Very scarce.

Letters.jpg

The typeface on yours is a lot thicker, but they're about the same size. I have no idea how much that may have varied, if indeed the attribution is correct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back