✅ SOLVED Mysterious Cherubs.

Choctawmongo

Jan 15, 2015
Tombstone
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this about 12" deep. It looks like it's made of brass with no writing or makers marks. Other than stating the obvious (some guy made a stupid comment on another site) can anyone help? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

What exactly are you wanting to know? Who made it ?What it is?Others are also going to ask where it was found, not specifically but just in general, it helps with I.D.to know if it was a field, a home site or the local church yard?

Upvote 0
It was found at a home which is approximately 300 yards from where many Civil War artifacts were found some years ago. I'm just curious if anyone had seen anything like it before and what it may possibly be. There's no makers marks on it nor writing of any kind. I'm just looking for information or ideas. Thanks.

Upvote 0
My guess...
It is a broken off piece of a antique brass cherub frame.

Upvote 0
In scripture (Gen. iii. 24) God placed two cherubim at the entrance of paradise. Your piece depicts that...could be an ornament from a garden or homestead cemetery gate?

Upvote 0
Cherubs were a very popular form during the art nouveau period. This piece could have come off of any number of items, from a picture frame or a mirror, to a desk/inkwell set or a ladies dresser set or any number of other items. It'll be hard to find exactly where that particular piece came from exactly. I hope some actually does, but I have my doubts.

In scripture (Gen. iii. 24) God placed two cherubim at the entrance of paradise. Your piece depicts that...could be an ornament from a garden or homestead cemetery gate?
I would expect an item of that nature to be made from cast or wrought iron more than brass or bronze but you never know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the insight! I will continue my research and look for further clues.

Upvote 0
Could have come off a casket. 2 cherubs setting up a ladder to heaven for the one in the box to climb? deepsecrets gave a great clue and diggum's clue of the popularity of cherubs used in the Nouveau era would put the time from around 1890's to 1910s.. Having no foundry mark will make it tough to pin down who made it. I have an old casket plaque of a child that I expect someone remove for a keepsake. It's from the 1870's. Your item, looks like a very well casted piece. They did that kind of fine work in the Nouveau era on a lot of things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have a late 1800's French polished brass Fire Screen center decoration piece. These ornate firescreens were popular during the Victorian and had a strong French influence.

By looking at the back, you can see where some parts of the lattice are missing. Lattice was popular during that time (and still is) to hold climbing roses.

Although the center piece of the one shown below is slightly different, the theory is the same.

Neat find :)
Breezie
View attachment 1124319

FireScreen2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's so cool! Thanks for all of the information everyone.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back