Myserty Coin?? UPDATED WITH PICTURES

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a picture yet since I just found this at lunchtime and I'm still at work.

I found a coin that looks to be copper and it is slightly larger and thinner then a memorial or wheat cent. It looks like any detail may have been worn off but once I get home and have a chance to clean it I may get some detail. Since I don't have an Indian Head or flying cent at work I was wondering if either one of those coins were slightly larger diameter then the modern/wheat cent.

It only took me an hour once I got back to work to break down and post this.

NJ

Sorry about the delay. Here are the pictures I promised. I can't see any detail on this coin if it is a coin and it is only very slightly bigger then a penny but much thinner. Any guesses on what it might be??

Here is the mystery coin with a regular Indian Head penny,
PB130090.jpg

Here is a side view of the thickness with the same Indian Head penny,
PB130092.jpg

One side,
PB130095.jpg

The other side,
PB130103.jpg

I don't think I will ever know what it is for certain but it is fun to consider the possibilities. I'm getting a electronic scale and calipers for Xmas from the wife so those should help with these mystery coins.

NJ

Re: Myserty Coin??

I think all the pennies from Flying Eagle thru Wheats were the same diameter, just the early coins that were copper nickel were thicker. Maybe you found a farthing, they are very thin...

Don

Upvote 0

A half cent piece would be slightly larger and thinner than a memorial cent. A large cent would be a good bit larger and thicker.And a IH would be the same size.
Hope to see a pic.
Don't scrub it hard with a toothbrush or you will take the rest of the design off.Just run it under water and pat it dry.Or else give it a peroxide bath or soak it in olive oil.

fortbball9

Upvote 0

I measured diameter and thickness, my Half Cent is thicker than a Penny, but the Farthing is about the same as the Penny. The Farthing is smaller than a Half Cent and a Penny is smaller than a Farthing.

Hope this helps.

Don

Attachments

• FarthingPennyHalfcent.jpg
    FarthingPennyHalfcent.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 664
Upvote 0

Thanks guys.

It looks to be even smaller then the fathing. When I place a penny on top it looks like there is a small rim sticking out all around. It is such a small difference I'm starting to think it may just be a Indian Head that was so worn down that it flattened out a little bit. Just a theory.

Upvote 0

Possible a worn shield nickel, it would be about the right size...

Upvote 0

Why not a foreign coin (British, as suggested, or otherwise) or a token?

Upvote 0

If you post a photo, it will be identified here. The people on this site are just plain scary at identifying stuff. Truly scary.

Upvote 0

Could also be a 2 cent piece... ???

Upvote 0

remember, if theres farthing around the house just do like i do and blame it on the dog. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
I just posted some pictures....sorry about the delay. My mother broke her arm toward the end of last week so I've been staying over at her house (no internet) some nights and going over to cook or help out the other nights. This is the first chance I've had to take pictures.

Thanks for looking.

NJ

Upvote 0
I'd say judging by the size of the mystery coin, and judging by the thickness of it, that it may very well be a patriotic token or similar from the Civil War era. Maybe even a merchant token. I found a "Our country" Civil War token a short while back, at it is just about size for size as your mystery coin. Just a thought from a new forum member from north of your border!.

James
HomesteadHunter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back