My tool kit and some glass

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Larsen asked about my kit and since he is such an awesome guy and always posts such amazing things, I thought I'd oblige him. Here is what I use and some of the points and things I have made.
A leather strap I salvaged from an old gunslinger belt, an "Ishi stick" I made from a sapling and a nail, another smaller one I really like, a hammerstone that might be an original since I found it at a site I have scored points at and it had a flat side when I picked it up. The rest is a cut down grilling fork handle for grinding. I generally use television screen glass or mason jar bottoms but some are soda and beer bottle glass for color and convenience. I have very few flint ones and the ones I do have I made from flakes I picked up.
img5053.jpg

img5043nk.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice points GL.

When I first started knapping I used a lot of Glass, mostly "frosted" glass, from bottle bottoms, found on the sandbanks along larger rivers. Its a lot of fun, during the summer to float the river "prospecting" for knapping glass. The frosting on the glass actually makes the flaking "run" a lot farther on your initial flakes. If you haven't tried it yet you should. I have also found, if you have access to it, a deer antler tine, "grips" glass a lot better then a nail, which will let you "push" the flakes a lot farther.

Keep
posting pictures
3creeks

I recognize that grilling fork handle.....my mom still has the same one in her knife drawer at home. I remember it from when I was a kid in the 70's. As soon as I saw it in your pic I knew what that handle was from.

Neat glass points too by the way. I haven't tried any knapping...I'd prolly put my eye out or cut off a finger.

Neat looking kit. I tried it one time for a while. Had flint all over my office floor and ran a splinter of it into my foot. 3 years ago and its still in there,lol. You guys make some neat stuff just wear shoes !! I will keep my eyes open on the rivers for that glass and save it for you all.
Later
TnMtns

TripleCreek said:
Nice points GL.

When I first started knapping I used a lot of Glass, mostly "frosted" glass, from bottle bottoms, found on the sandbanks along larger rivers. Its a lot of fun, during the summer to float the river "prospecting" for knapping glass. The frosting on the glass actually makes the flaking "run" a lot farther on your initial flakes. If you haven't tried it yet you should. I have also found, if you have access to it, a deer antler tine, "grips" glass a lot better then a nail, which will let you "push" the flakes a lot farther.

Keep
posting pictures
3creeks
Copper grabs even better and your tool lasts longer as well.I built a little jig that makes every flake goe across if the grain is right

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back