My oldest silver yet

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Remember all the wheaties I have been finding in my mother inlaws yard? And how I said (and everybody else)......theres got to be silver there too?

Well today I found it!? A 1911D Barber dime....... 8" down on edge with the 250. Right beside of a hole I had previously dug with the BH.? Im liking the yellow machine more every day!

And I scraped the back of the Barber digging it >:( :'( Still have to get the hang of pin pointing down with the 250.

Also found what I think is a 1909 wheatie. Cant tell for sure.....its pretty beat up.

Attachments

• Rubys yard 1911D Barber Dime.jpg
    Rubys yard 1911D Barber Dime.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Rubys yard 1911D Dime reverse.jpg
    Rubys yard 1911D Dime reverse.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 386
  • Rubys yard 1909 wheat.jpg
    Rubys yard 1909 wheat.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 372
  • Rubys yard 1911D Barber Dime.jpg
    Rubys yard 1911D Barber Dime.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 378
  • Rubys yard 1911D Dime reverse.jpg
    Rubys yard 1911D Dime reverse.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 384
  • Rubys yard 1909 wheat.jpg
    Rubys yard 1909 wheat.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
thanks swinging........

You know, I was wondering.
From the wartime nickel post where TORRERO asked about the scratches........I know since these pics are close ups that they are magnified. But was wondering if maybe frost heave or something causes the scratches......with being in the dirt for so long. They dont look that scratched when just looking at them, and I know a toothbrush wouldnt scratch them like that......or would it? ???

For Zeke

Zeke,

Yes a toothbrush will scratch a coin. I don't know if it will scratch it to that severity but it will scratch it. Also if you touch a coin with anything while digging it you will scratch it. I have scratched coins with a plastic scoop to the point of being able to see the scratch. This is the main reason why I will not probe for coins or anything else. I just dig them.

Here is a note on digging for everyone. Be an expert at pinpointing. Pinpointing is the most important thing you can learn. Big statement huh? Well let me tell you it doesn't do a bit of good to dig a $1000 dollar coin or button if you are going to put marks on it with a probe or screwdriver. So learn to pinpoint and learn it well. When you know where that coin is before you start digging it is very easy to not touch it. Electronic pinpointers help wit this also.

Doug-Iowa
DJ's Detectors

WTG!,, Zeke...
I know'ed they were silver there in them there hills... ;D Probably, a lot more too.
Good Luck & Happy Hunting...

Doug makes a good point! Learn to pinpoint! After scratching up a few choice old coins I learned the hard way not to use the ole screwdriver! H.H.!!!

Since it's been brought up here, what's your opinions on the probes with a softer tip i.e. brass etc.? Do they still damage the coin?

Somewhere I have seen probes that have a ball bearing soldered/brazed on the end of them. Wonder if that would keep from messing a coin up. Would have to be better than a screwdriver or icepick.

Isn't the tip of the "coin popper" that Jimmy Sierra sells have a non-metallic tip on it? I recall it seems it is kind of flat and made of teflon or some similar type material. Does anyone own one out there?
Butch/West Central Minnesota

Way to go Zeke! I know what you mean about finding all the wheats and not much silver. There is an old park I have hunted for a long time which has given up many Wheats, some Indian Heads, several V and Buffalo nickels...but only one Merc Dime! That's it and I can't figure it. As for probing...I would rather dig a full round plug 5 inches in diameter to reach a 7-8 inch deep coin rather than risk damaging the coin. My latest finds at the park...1910 Wheat and 1918 Wheat, both at 7 inches. Maybe all the good silver which has got to be there is deeper? I have a new coil coming to find out! Giterdone

giterdone sounds like someone may have cherry picked the silver out of that park and left you all the good cents to find. Cladius.

Nice barber! Something to keep in mind-I still do once in a while-wait till you get home to soak the coin & determine date/mint. Just rubbing dirt off can make for some nasty scratches. Can be costly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back