My Oldest Coin?

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey All.? Well after reading Free's thread, "Where to find old coins", I was ready to leave the easy gratification of clad and rings to try for that 1900 barrier that's been kicking my a$$.? I found a pair of 1880's houses that were being remodeled in a nearby town, and lined up permission on Monday.? It's been raining here for most of the week but today was beautiful and I was primed with fresh batteries and a renewed sense of purpose.? Unfortunately, Friday the 13th rang true because upon arriving, the backhoe had dug basements behind both of the houses and had spread the soil from the excavation around both lots adding about 12 inches to the grade.? Crap!!!? Decided to try anyways, around the front porches as there was still a little strip of flower garden showing along the foundations.? My only hit (besides nails) was this coin.? I think I read a post on this site awhile back about square holed chinese coins, which I'm assuming this is.? It's about the size of a quarter, and very thin.? I'm pretty sure it's pre-1900 but I can't read chinese! Does this count Free? Anyone read Chinese? Any info would be appreciated.? Good hunting everybody~CO2 ;D

Attachments

• Chinese.jpg
    Chinese.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
Nice find there. I have a few myself. There all diffrent and are all from a different dynasty. I think it dates around the 1850's. Do a google search for chinese cash coins and see if you can compare it with others. I couldn't they all look to similar. My site was from the 1870's so I figured I had the one that was being made from like the 1850's. Not sure because those coins that look real similar go back hundreds of years.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to get out myself. Been working everyday and I am dieing to get a hunt in. For me not hunting for a week or so straight starts to get to me. That's why I haven't posted anything lately. Gonna get some hunting in this weekend. I'll have something for you guys early next week.

Keep up the good work. HH Jer

I did that Pete.? There was a definite dark strata about a foot thick where all the tree roots seemed to be. I found an old spark plug (RED HEAD) at about 2 1/2 feet (retrieving that one was a Beeotch).? Too far down to reach from the top and too far up to reach from the bottom. Problem was that I had to hold the detector over my head and I couldn't read the meter most of the time.? Any suggestions? THX~CO2

Nice find! I have found 2 chinese coins and my wife has found 3 in Ghost towns in Utah there from 1735-1795 they look like the one you found hope you find more i would sweep slow and you may find more they don't give off a good sound if there past 8" down so don't go to fast and you may getsome lite sounds that mite be more coins good luck and let us know! Harvey!

Nice find!

Take frees advice, and go search the dirt again!

HH

Lonewolfe

I hunted a construction site Thursday evening, searched the mounds of top soil, only found a 1942 zinc 1 Pfenning swastika coin and a lot of junk. I think it's mostly fill dirt there as it was heavily bombed during WWII. HH, Mike

thats pretty awesome colorado.i hope you can nail down a date on it.at any rate its a long way from home. was there a large chinese population in your area at some time in the past?

Thanks for the look everyone. Enloe, thanks for the date on the coin
Free2Dtect said:
You hunt with a MXT right, use relic mode you do not need to watch a meter.
! Free, I was in relic mode because of the string you posted last week. Haven't used it much before and didn't know it gives a high tone to all metal targets!?!? Kind of frustrating with all the nails that were around. I do need to see the meter for depth. As usual it was just beginners luck that landed this coin.
HollowPointRed, There were in the mid 1800's as mine and railway workers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back