My Mistake, Your Lesson in photos . . .

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Deep in the ground, I found a horribly corroded 2 cent piece that was so covered in green patina it was quite attractive, I must say! Needless to say, date curiosity got the best of me and I decided to try a little homemade electrolosis. I used a 9 volt battery, 2 pieces of speaker wire, a cup of distilled water, and baking soda. I also used my wife's good crystal drinkware to do my experiment (but that's a story for another forum!). Anyway, what you see here is the unzapped coin and how it looks at intervals along the way, finally resulting in a disk almost entirely void of any detail. At least now I know the date, it's an 1867.

What do you think. Should I have left it alone?

Ian

Attachments

• greenmonster1.jpg
    greenmonster1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 981
  • greenmonster2.jpg
    greenmonster2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 983
  • greenmonster5.jpg
    greenmonster5.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 975
  • greenmonster7.jpg
    greenmonster7.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 990
  • greenmonster4.jpg
    greenmonster4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 974
  • DSC00424.JPG
    DSC00424.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 966
Mate I woulda done exactly the same thing ;D. Don't think I woulda regretted it either because you couldn't see that much detail before anyway. A good one for the collection and lesson learned either good or bad.

HH

Yes you Definately Improved its Value.

If you actually had 2

one in the uncleaned Condition
and the Cleaned one,

& posted them both on EBay for $10.00

The first one wouldn't get bids.

But I'd believe the cleaned one would.

They are all correct. The ground did the damage, not you. Must be very acidic soil. Nice find anyways, congrats.

Nice non-green disk. ;)

You really should have read the forums first on cleaning copper using a potato. (Anything with green corrosion will have copper in it.) But at least now you know from experience what electrolysis can do to a coin, including silver coins. Electrolysis doesn't really remove the corrosion so much as remove the layer of metal under it, which loosens the corrosion, which is why electrolysis is usually sued as a last resort.

In 1867 there was a brown and a red/brown version, then there were the same versions with a double die obverse, which was worth more. More info here:
http://www.mycoincollecting.com/coinvalues/us-coin-values.html#
And here:
http://www.coinfacts.com/two_cents/1867_two_cents.htm

Now go find some more and this time you'll know that when you see green, think potato. :D

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back