My first treasure my 4th day of Hunting.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Site:Old Baseball Field Burdett, NY
Time: 1430-1530 (EST)
Story:
Trying to find time to spend with my mother and go detecting all in one day. We decided to meet at an old closed down school in my hometown. After digging what seem to be false signals and finding a dime on the surface I get a good repeat signal of a quarter or 50 cents with my Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 at 6-8 inches. I chose to dig this signal, after digging for about 10-15 minutes I got to the 8 inch mark and was ready to give up. Checking the dirt before putting it back out pops my first treasure, a old bank token with no date but reads.(Obverse) First National Bank YPSILANTI MICH. with picture of old bank. (Reverse)We will Accept this on Deposit for 50cts if you open a new savings account of $5.00 or more leaving it in the bank for one year and pay 3% interest on your savings.

If anyone knows anything about these kind of tokens, please contact me: E-mail - [email protected]

Attachments

• BankToken001.jpg
    BankToken001.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 319
  • BankToken002.jpg
    BankToken002.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 321
Upvote 0
COOL FIND

Congrats & welcome

J E F F

Welcome to the board Mud! Nice token. Gotta be old, nobody for quite some time would open a bank account for the sake of 50 cents. Good luck and keep diggin'~CO2

Nice find! This type of token was given out by banks as a promotional gimmick - sometimes they used metal piggy banks in conjunction with the token. When the bank was full, you could bring it in and get a bonus for depositing the money in a savings account. The Cunningham Michigan Trade Tokens book says that this one was originally plated with some sort of bright gilt. The book shows an estimated value of $5.

With today's savings rates, I'd take a bank up on an offer of a 50? bonus on opening a $5 savings account for a year at 3% ;)

John in ID

Nice token!

I'll give ya $10 for it!

HH

Lonewolfe

Really nice Token. I would take real good care of that. It belongs in it's own coin sleeve. Nice to spend some time with Mom too. Sounds like a great day all together. Keep em comin. HH

Thank you all very much, its really cool how people come togeather on the internet and share this great hobby here.
I have only been in the game a week or two, but learning so much so fast its great. I took my detector back so I could get a better deal from Kellyco.com along with some extra goodies like a handheld pinpointer detector and a cool digging knife. The only bad part about this is i can't go out detecting for 4 days :( . I will as soon as I get the new detector, then I am going to NC with it. I will post anything good I find as soon as I can.

As for the token listed above its my first good find, and its been determind that its a - Michigan Trade Token Valued at $5.00. It will be going in a 2x2 and be put in my treasure chest.

Its funny to think maybe someday some new hunter will find one of our stashes.

Thank you everyone, HH and good luck!

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 192
  • happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 143
I love finding them tokens! I think it's a pretty safe bet to believe it's been a long, long time since people would bother opening a bank account with $5.00. A very nice find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back