My first time out

Calico Jack

Sep 20, 2005
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
The following is a recount of my first day detecting. Kinda long. Sorry.

This forum got me hooked not long ago. I linked here while looking for pictures of shipwrecks.

When I was younger, my folks got me a cheap metal detector from Radio Shack. I explored the yard, looking for the pirate gold or old jar of cash I was certain was buried there. I didn't find anything. I sold the detector at a garage sale years later.

After seeing the stuff found by people here, my interest was rekindled. I ordered an ACE 250, and it showed up on Wednesday. I decided that Thursday morning would be a fine time to try it out.

I woke up at 5am. Not bad for a guy who works until 11pm. I got in the car, and headed out of my LA apartment toward Santa Monica and the beaches there. When I got there, it was still awfully dark and there were multitudes of homeless wandering about. I decided to continue to another site. I drove north on Pacific Coast Highway until I found my way into Malibu. The air smelled like smoke, no doubt from the 20,000 acre Topanga fire not far away. Across from Pepperdine University, I found a park with a little league baseball diamond and a grassy field. There was also a dirt area with picnic tables. Bingo.

As the sun started to rise, I began my search in the picnic area. I went about 3" before my detector started dinging like a Vegas slot machine. I discovered that my shoes have metal in them. Careful to keep the detector farther away, I started to move around the first table. Found about 6 spots that looked like winners in about one minute. I marked them with my shoe and put the detector away. I approached the first spot, and readied my digging tool. What would I find? Coins? Jewelry? Atlantis? I began my first hopeful plunge of my tool, and I found that the ground was too hard to dig. I got about an inch down, and could get no further without a matlock. I did not have a matlock, and was not ready to destroy this park anyway. The grass was being sprinkled, and the well-tended baseball diamond didn't look like something I should mess with, so I gave up on the park.

While looking around this park, I had found that it has a nice overlook. Below, some houses and a beach. I resolved to find a way to that beach. I headed back to the car and drove back a few blocks, and entered a residential area. At the end of a long road, I found a lifeguard tower that I had seen from the park, and found a place to park the car. I headed down a sand trail to the beach, and found it deserted, save for two people watching dolphins about 30 yards offshore. Pretty neat.

I walked a ways down the beach, then assembled my ACE for round 2. The following are my finds, while beachcombing and detecting:
1. Gum wrapper.
2. deceased jellyfish
3. hambone
4. Tonka truck
5. unusually large seaweed bulb thing
6. Labrador Retriever with tennis ball (well, he actually found me)

After about an hour with only two signals prompting me to dig (nothing and nothing), I decided to pack it up. I thoroughly filled my holes, and discovered on the way back to the car that the dog did not share that practice.

I drove home and took a nap before work.

All in all, not what I expected. I have developed a great respect for those of you who find things on a regular basis. My arm is sore.

I saw a bunch of beach volleyball courts on the way back, and should probably hit those. More likely, I will head out to a ghost town on my day off, and try there.

Not a wasted morning. I saw dolphins, a sunrise, and got to play with a beach dog.

Upvote 0
I was just up that way for a two week school in June( Oxnard area).I drove all the way to LA to go to the King Tut Expo and tickets were sold out. :-[ O well, life went on and took me a while to find my way back to Hwy 1. Anyway, Don't give up on the hobby!Practace makes perfect and its all about resurch and luck. It is a very fun hobby and also relaxing to get out iof the house.Remember!Don't give up and welcome! :)

Don't get discouraged, the ACE is not known as a beach unting machine rather as a killer coin shooter. Keep at it and many finds will come your way with experience. My first time out I scored zilch! Second time out I found several pennies and a 24" gold chain! Found it in a park next to a basketball court behind the goal post. In the short time I have been doing this U have found a little gold, a little silver, a ton of clad coins, and lots of junk that I loosely call artifacts! Good luck and let us now when you score! jimakaks

The ACE is a good machine -- before you know it you will be finding the fun stuff

Keep at it!

jimmileo........uhh..kwicksilvr is right! dont get discouraged. it takes some time to be able to pick productive sites and to know what the machine is telling you.just a tip.....around here school yards are accessable and are a great place to get your feet wet detecting.the playground area ought to be full of clad coins to practice on!

MMMMMMMMMM....dolphins, sunrise and a beach dog!.........Sounds like a great morning to me!

Don't give up on the detector though! You might have a play ground in that apt. complex......try there!!!

Nana ;)

Hello, and Welcome back to the hobby, and to the forum.
Great story, Not to laugh, but you did make it sound kinda funny, and the fun part is what it's all about...
Like stated above, don't get discouraged, in time I'm sure you will be finding some very nice stuff...
I have found some of my best stuff when I least expected it...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Thank you all for the encouragement. I am not about to quit.

Nana, there's not much opportunity around my apartment building. There is no grass or dirt. The building is great (1893, a ghost, famous former residents), but there is just the building and concrete. The real good spot is about a block away - the Ambassador Hotel, where RFK was assassinated. It has been vacant for probably 15 or 20 years, and has a large open field in front which has been recently turned over. The school district will be tearing the place down and turning it into yet another fine institution of public learning in the near future. Love to get in there - site of the first Oscars and dozens of Hollywood events - but there's large fences, and last time I talked to a guard there, he wasn't keen on letting me wander.

Leon, laugh away. It was written for laughs, not pity.

Come Monday, it'll be alright. I'll head to my old elementary school and check the sand and field. I gotta good feeling.

I can relate, I just purchased a Whites Traesuremaster PI 1000 real cheap on eBay about three weeks ago. First time out I found like .80 cents worth of coins, a plethera of pop tops, and a dog collar, all were very difficult to dig out of the ground because I could not pinpoint the approximate location of the item. As time has gone by I now see why everyone says, you need to get to know your detector because I can now with very good acurracy scoop up whatever sets my detector off in the water.
As for the frustrating part of finding junk here is a story, two days ago I was at a very popular beach spot down here in Miami and dug up like 40 separate bottlecaps in the water. I kept telling myself to be patient and it is good practice. The BAM! A 14ct gold bracelet (see attached photo:), I screamed like a little kid at Christmas :Dand practically skipped home. I myself am finding that partice makes perfect and patience is key. By the way, anyone else in here use a Whites Treasuremaster PI 1000? I know the model is as old as dirt but I love this machine it works very well but I have never used another water detector to compare it with.

Attachments

• 14k chain.jpg
    14k chain.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 256
The ?Right? Metal Detector

I often see questions about which is the right MD and sometimes even statements of apology from someone who feels they have a cheaper or older machine. Let me see if I can explain my views of all of that to those who might fall into that area of mding.

Years ago I went to visit my sister and her family in Arkansas. They had a nice home on a rather large lake (Lake Hamilton), owned a nice boat and they all, kids especially, loved to water ski as did I.

On the day of our first outing I walked down to the dock and put on water ski?s on the deck as others readied the boat. Others being my brother-in-law, my sister and my 12 year old nephew and 14 & 15 year old nieces. They all had their ski?s loaded on the boat already so I picked mine up to put them on board as well.

My nephew, being a VERY observant young lad, looked at my ski?s and said, ?Uncle Bob, neat looking ski?s. What are they?? I said, ?Oh, I bought these at J.C. Penney?s and I really like them.?

Well my nephew was astounded with this news! He said, ?Uncle Bob, those are no good!! They don?t even say Cypress Garden (Brand is EVERYthing!) on them!!?

?Well Timmy,? I said, ?I can actually get up out of the water and even ski on one ski with these and I can?t with your Cypress Garden brand! So I suspect these are the right ski?s for me.?

My point is, if the MD you have works for you and you are happy and comfortable with it then that?s the right MD for you. There is always tomorrow and always a possible better one but old, sometimes cheaper slippers always feel more comfortable. BTW, I use the ACE 250 also. Maybe next year I'll get a second MD but the 250 has been great for me. It finds things . . . as I had hoped! lol :D

Hobo

Welcome to the forum, Calico. Funny story...You'll fit right in around here.

You'll dig alot of garbage for each treasure you find so stick with it. Find a good site, like an old park or a school, and stick with it. Try to clear out a small area like 10 X 10. Dig everything so you can understand what your detector is telling you. I can't wait to see your first real treasure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back