My First Post - What Coin Did I Find on the Beach Today?

Rogue23

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2015
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello all... I'm new to the hobby and have been reading a ton here lately - amazing site.

Time for my first post:

What in the world did I find on the beach today (Brevard County, Florida)?

In its present condition, there are not many identifying marks other than the large rimmed edge you can see (like a checker would have). It is 13g.

I know there is a lot of controversy around cleaning coins. Do you have any tips for how I can get some of this crusted stuff off without damaging whatever is underneath?

Thanks!

mysterycoin.jpg

Welcome. Can you verify for us that the item is not magnetic real quick? Nothing fancy, just a kitchen magnet will do the trick.

Upvote 0
looks like a George111 cartwheel penny. Welcome to TreasureNet.:thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0
IMO, it doesn't look like a coin... the large rim doesn't look familiar to me if it were a coin.... I could be wrong though...

Upvote 0
I can't wait to get back to Florida, I lived there for over 30 years and know some good places to look but never got into the hobby until recently.

as for the coin, I'm not sure what\s safe but I myself would clean a part of it with a recommended(someone who's been doing this for awhile) cleaner, maybe soak in coca-cola? This might be what I would try depending on the metal and situation from what I've read on cleaning if decided to do so. This is me though, not recommending you to... but good luck!

Upvote 0
looks like a George111 cartwheel penny. Welcome to TreasureNet.:thumbsup:

SS

The 1797 Great Britain cartwheel penny is the only thing I was able to find online that looked similar, but they are 36mm wide and weigh twice as much. I know it could have worn, but I don't think that much, right?

It very well may not be a coin, but it's something metal and circular. Maybe some sort of commemorative medallion. I think I'm going to have to try to clean it to reveal some more detail.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Take some sandpaper or a grinder to it. Just kidding don't do that. Use acid. Wait don't do that either. Good luck in identifying it.:laughing7:

Upvote 0
Probably a token. Second pic looks like the top of a 5 showing.TokenCatalog.com

When you get it cleaned up you'll find it at that website, if it's a token.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back