My first post after lurking too long!

mrhaz

Jul 26, 2007
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I had better finally introduce myself after over a year of lurking here. My Stats:

Married with three kids & one grandson
Hobbies are metal detecting, bottle digging, Old Boys Rugby, reading, travel, gambling..

I have always been a "scavenger-hoarder-treasure seeker". I metal detected for a couple of years back in the early 80's, then rediscovered the hobby about six years ago when I bought a used detector to check my bottle digging dirt piles. Found one of my towns original dumps several years ago & pulled about 1,000 bottles out of it over a two year time period. One local 1920's soda bottle I dug has no history behind it. Our City Historian can't find any mention of the local company that produced it. As far as we know, I have the only known example of this bottle. Kinda neat. I attempted a couple of privy digs, but found detecting much easier on my worn out old body. As a result of 25 years of racquetball, ten playing softball, and Rugby since 1992, I have the aches of a 80 year old in a 48 year old body! Wouldn't change a thing though. I've enjoyed myself way too much to have any regrets :)

As in every part of the country, the area of Iowa I reside in has a Treasure Tale! Here's what many have looked for but not found near where I currently live, Cerro Gordo County:

Thomas Nelson was not much into trusting and buried his fortune of gold coins in a 3-foot deep hole somewhere between Wheeler Ranch and Horseshoe Bend. He tried several times to recover his buried treasure but was unable to find the location again.

I look forward to getting to know many of you, and maybe at some point in the future do some hunting with some close to me. I really enjoy this site. I am amazed on a daily basis what secrets the ground hold for us. Greetings to all and HAPPY HUNTING!

My friends just call me Haz........

Attachments

• billbarsd.jpg
    billbarsd.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 720
Welcome aboard HAZ!! Its good to have you post in the mugs. Is your second hobby hat pins? Good lord man....dont ever fall on your head cause that looks to be potentially fatal!! 8)

Welcome to Mug Shots Hat Pin Haz!

And welcome to the posting side of treasurenet...

Looking forward to many more posts... with some cool finds hopefully!

Get those bottles posted!

Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Welcome aboard HAZ!! Its good to have you post in the mugs. Is your second hobby hat pins? Good lord man....don't ever fall on your head cause that looks to be potentially fatal!! 8)

Johnny, those are club pins from other Old Boys Rugby teams. That photo was taken in 2005 in San Diego at the World Golden Oldies Rugby Festival. We were one team of over 120 from 22 countries. It's a common practice to trade pins, t-shirts, and other items with other teams. I ended up with 47 pins (on another hat by the end of the week). Our team heads to Edinburgh Scotland the first week of September for the 2008 Festival. Can't wait!!

Montana Jim said:
Welcome to Mug Shots Hat Pin Haz!

And welcome to the posting side of treasurenet...

Looking forward to many more posts... with some cool finds hopefully!

Get those bottles posted!

Jim, I just posted a couple of pics in "My Collections". Thanks for the welcome folks! I look forward to getting into TNET much more in the weeks ahead. Haz

Welcome to Mug Shots, & Treasure Net.

Fossis...............

Welcome to Tnet ......you have quite a few legends of treasure in Iowa ....hope to see some of your finds soon.Would like to see a pic of that soda bottle.

Great to see ya, Haz. Looking forward to seeing more of your finds. Good Luck & Happy Hunting.

;) RR

welcome_cat.gif

Attachments

• welcome_cat.gif
    welcome_cat.gif
    38.3 KB · Views: 594
Welcome!
Maybe I'll see you out and about when, (or if), spring ever arrives.
I do a lot of detecting around your area. Many ghost town sites.

Welcome, Haz. Looking forward to seeing some of you finds.

HH,
Pepper

Great Pic & Post Haz :thumbsup:

It's been almost a year and still only 9 posts? :o You still lurking Haz? :icon_scratch: Love the story and a good mug too! You need to talk more...tell us more stories! ;D

Ever get down to the quad cities area?

Happy Hunting...and welcome to Mug Shots! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back