My First Iron Age Relic 😆 xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Just wanted to do a separate post as I think this little item is the coolest thing I have ever found. 😍
Sent a picture to the FLO … who confirmed today it is indeed an Iron Age Woad Grinder.

Basically like a small pestle and mortar that would be used for grinding up herbs. it is believed that they were used during the Celtic period in Britain for the preparation and application of dye to the skin. A blue dye could be obtained from a biennial herb called 'Isatis Tinctoria' or woad, when the leaves are crushed. Added pics of ones at the Celtic and Prehistoric Museum so mine is not fancy… but still, being able to find things this old is quite beyond my comprehension! Xx

Attachments

• IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    953 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4698.jpeg
    IMG_4698.jpeg
    928.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4772.jpeg
    IMG_4772.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4773.jpeg
    IMG_4773.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 19
Yeap, & they would used seamen to make it more potent. (in the woad dye that is)
Unusual type, they often represent a Bull but not seen that variant before. Nice example. I have the types to the left.

Last edited:
Just wanted to do a separate post as I think this little item is the coolest thing I have ever found. 😍
Sent a picture to the FLO … who confirmed today it is indeed an Iron Age Woad Grinder.

Basically like a small pestle and mortar that would be used for grinding up herbs. it is believed that they were used during the Celtic period in Britain for the preparation and application of dye to the skin. A blue dye could be obtained from a biennial herb called 'Isatis Tinctoria' or woad, when the leaves are crushed. Added pics of ones at the Celtic and Prehistoric Museum so mine is not fancy… but still, being able to find things this old is quite beyond my comprehension! Xx
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

Outstanding Achievement …Congratulations
Voting Banner on your Iron Age Woad grinder..

Great news blossom, top shelf recovery 👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back