Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My First "Haircut" 1911 Barber

Got to hit 4 banks today during lunch.

Opened a roll in my car (on my way from work), see a BLACK rim, pull it out and I hear the distinctive SILVER CLANK.

I thought it was a foreign coin when I looked down at it and saw the face, and got excited because I knew that sounded alot like the US silver dimes and thought, "Well at least it's silver!!". It wasnt until I flipped it over.... when I recognized it as the infamous BARBER. :laughing7:

My first one!! No Rosies, just a Merc to go along with it.

How do you clean it without ruining it?? I'd like to restore it if possible. Thanks!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 363
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0
Re: My First "Haircut" 1911 Barber

Way to go!! i would love to be able to find something that old CRHing. :icon_thumright:

Nice find! I would not do anything to it. Most of the things people will tell you will ruin any premium it might bring. Sure, it will pretty it up, but once you do that, no collector will touch it.

MU

great find. it looks a little dark but still in pretty good condition. I probably wouldn't worry about trying to clean it but if you do be carefull - you don't want to ruin it.

Congrats GH~!!

just soak it in regular sterling cleaner for a bit, if its totally crusted on you can put a piece of Alum foil in the bottom of a pan, boil water to a full boil, pour in a cup of baking soda, drop the dime in on the foil and remove from the heat, a shift reaction will occur. However I've tried this b4 it works ok but its not spectacular and sometimes discolors the coin lol....I would just stick to rubber gloves and sterling cleaner like moms old tea set or thanksgiving cutlery prep.

I've got the barber half but not the dime yet....hopefully one drops my way too!

Congrats on the shave, go ahead and do as you like as far as cleaning. You won't hurt a coin worth melt.

Great find, the only cleaning I would recommend would be a dip in silver cleaner.

I'd just put it in acetone for a good soak. If it doesn't do it for you practice on some of your other junk silver first before you dip this one. Might as well get used to dipping in acid first and get the process down before you strip this one of it's surface. Some people only want the natural look so do start with the acetone bath and see if that does the trick. Good find.

Maine_Jim

Amazing score!! All I hear from you is how bad CRH is there and you find this :laughing9:. Now go find that Barber Half!!

ImpurestStewart said:
Amazing score!! All I hear from you is how bad CRH is there and you find this :laughing9:. Now go find that Barber Half!!

I do verbally assault Phoenix quite a bit. It's here for sure...but the competition is so fierce. I find it hard believe none of the guys here in PHX dont troll this forum.

Every "secret" branch I go to, Coughs...Chase says, "yeah we have halves, how many do you need?" How many you got?? "About a $1000". I turn around and walk out the door.

Or, 8 out of 10 tellers...."Why are you looking for the silver ones?"

Or, oh some guy just picked them all up.

Or, blha blah blah. I battle through it all and have found some good stuff, like today! Defintely have to be a workhorse out here in the wild wild west.

Gilmore Happy said:
ImpurestStewart said:

I do verbally assault Phoenix quite a bit. It's here for sure...but the competition is so fierce. I find it hard believe none of the guys here in PHX dont troll this forum.

Every "secret" branch I go to, Coughs...Chase says, "yeah we have halves, how many do you need?" How many you got?? "About a $1000". I turn around and walk out the door.

Or, 8 out of 10 tellers...."Why are you looking for the silver ones?"

Or, oh some guy just picked them all up.

Or, blha blah blah. I battle through it all and have found some good stuff, like today! Defintely have to be a workhorse out here in the wild wild west.

It might just be coincidence as I don't know which chase your talking about, but that is the branch I dump my halves at, especially on road trips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back