My First Great Seal Button

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a place in town where an old house had recently been demolished and did a little digging after asking the neighbors (good enough). It started off pretty slow with a bunch of modern clad some keys a Zippo lighter and 3 wheat pennies. Then the neighbor and I had a good little chat as he came back from walking around the block. I decided since the rest of the week is going to be even colder and there was about 30 more minutes of daylight left I'd go over a part along the curb, by our cars that I had skipped over in the beginning. The second target I dug, not more than 6 feet from the front bumper of my truck was my first Great Seal button. Finally something good after my last 4 hunts yielded nothing but clad and rusty padlocks. The next target, just a couple of feet away had 4 more wheat pennies all beautiful emerald green and dated 1910(2), 1911, & 1912. Of the 7 wheat pennies 6 were 1910-1920

20181202_175439.jpg

20181202_200803.jpg

I know these Great Seal buttons are 1902-current but I'm curious if anyone has a book or reference to window date the back marks?

Upvote 10
20181202_213730.jpg
Ready to display

Yours looks WW1 to me....but I'm no master...???

I may be wrong...spread legs seem to be WW2....closer legs WW1....but I may still be wrong...lol

Last edited:
I did find enough to know The Art Metal Works Company changed their name to Ronson Art Metal Works in 1930 so that at least narrows it down a bit.

The Art Metal Works backmark was used from 1902-1930. The rim on your button means it is no earlier than 1910, I think I see traces of a black finish on your button and that would date it from 1910-1923.

Great button and other finds

Congratualtions on the nice relic find! :occasion14:

Cool find, Congrats!!!

I've found the exact same here in North Georgia and it's also the largest diameter of all the GSB's I have at 30.6mm/1.2".

Nice job mine was something like yours but from WWII. It’s big and I know it sounded sweet. Congratulations

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back