MY FIRST FIND!!! :-)

Jack Burton

Greenie
Apr 30, 2005
Got a garrett ace 250 yesterday. I was practicing in my front yard with coins I threw while my eyes were closed and as I was searching for them I got a signal for a penny about 3 inches deep. I figured the the hell, ill dig it and see if I can get this pinpoint figured out. Well I dug it, and I found this old crusty, clad, pitted 1986 lincoln cent. It is the best thing I have ever found in the ground, and that is saying a lot since I found a 3000 dollar diamond ring while playing golf in a sand trap. Well hereis a pic, and to the right is a 1964 kennedy half Im making into a ring.

Attachments

• Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0
yeah youre hooked alright! youre gonna love that ace!

Welcome to a great hobby, give a penny take a penny! Beside an old bank token I have found worth $5.00 I mostly find pennies.

WTG Keep it up!! HH!!

Attachments

• Greatjob.jpg
    Greatjob.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 389
Thanks for the welcome guys. I went out again this evening and hit a high school sanded area, I got a bunch of hits but I only was able to find another penny. Maybe I havent gotten the tones or pinpoint quite figured out yet. Im gonna try the beach to get some practice.

I am trying to get better pictures of my coin ring in progress, but my phone cam isnt good enough and my digicam is only 1 megapixel. Ill try to hijack my girlfriends nice sony one to take better pictures with.

a couple of things i noticed about my ace........when you get a bell tone when you sweep the coil over it in one direction,and you get a different tone or no tone in the other direction,it is usually a trash target.also.....when your target id cant lock on to a hit, in other words, when it is jumping around and wont give a solid reading,it is usually a trash target.just a couple of observations,hope it helps.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first find! I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more! Also post more pics of the ring as you go through the stages. Check out Steelerfans post of the one he just got done making!

Yeah ,,,,,,Welcome to the forum ,and congratulations on your first find....My first Metal Detector was the Ace,,,,but it (Older) didn;t have a pinpointer..Wish it did,I'd still have it.....You will have alot of excitment with it,,, Keep the discrimination set on low,,and dig alot......You WILL DIG ALOT OF JUNK.....BUT YOU WILL NOT MISS THE (GOOD) FINDS.....Don't get disappointed while digging,and finding some junk,because you will eventually be able to decipher the good signals from the bad....Just dig everything tell you are able to decipher it....Then still dig the iffy ones.....In the long run You Will Be HAPPIER !

Congrats and welcome to the forum. I've learned so much since i been here a short while and im sure you will also. HH

Twister

Cant' wait to see the picture of the ring! :)

Nana

By the way.....are you in Alabama? ;D

minelab1000 said:
hollowpointred said:
a couple of things i noticed about my ace........when you get a bell tone when you sweep the coil over it in one direction,and you get a different tone or no tone in the other direction,it is usually a trash target.also.....when your target id cant lock on to a hit, in other words, when it is jumping around and wont give a solid reading,it is usually a trash target.just a couple of observations,hope it helps.

This type of thing seems also to be true with all the brands and models I've used. Coins and other solid non-ferrous objects tend to give a solid sound in all directions. However, sometimes this may not hold true if a coin is on edge or very deep.

What you really need to do is find better hunting spots. If you're just finding a few newer pennies now, try to locate a very old house where the owner will let you hunt the yard. By old I mean 100 years old or older. Sometimes these have poor lawns and the people don't care. The time spent in searching for a site will pay off big.

These are the type of things I like to hear!! I guess I knew that stuff, but to hear it backed up by someone who has been in the game a lot longer than me is good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back