✅ SOLVED My first find

CreakyKnees

Dec 22, 2015
Alexandria, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I just got a MD and tired it out in my backyard. I live in Northern Virginia, and my property was once part of George Washington's Union Farm. The first good hit I got was about seven inches in the ground in Potomac river clay. Its black glazed cast iron, and I have no idea what it is, but it's kind of fascinating to me. It's 2 and 1/4" long, the long end is about 1 and 3/4", and the width of the rounded shot end is about 1/2". It's flat on the underside but the image shown has detail. Not sure what it is, but would love anyone's input. IMG_2192.JPG

Tony, I thought so, too, but the only deformity seems to be a flaw in the cast. No marks from any screws, washers, or bolts that would lock it in place. Anyway, I'm glad I found something like this for my first find. An old 20th century nail was my second find!

Upvote 0
I'm with Tony. Possibly part of a hand planer.

stanley-078-2.gif

CK - Where are you in NoVA? I'm out near Dulles. Welcome to Tnet!

Upvote 0
DCMatt, awesome! I actually searched for hand planer parts, but didn't see this graphic. This has got to be what it is. I'm in the Mt. Vernon part of Alexandria.

Upvote 0
I'm in the Mt. Vernon part of Alexandria.

Lots of history in the ground over there. Keep digging.

Just don't get caught on public property with your detector. It is a class 2 misdemeanor in Alexandria.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Yeah, the first thing I did was look up local laws. I'm sticking to properties where I have the owners permission in writing. My own property was part of George Washington's Union Farm. It's an older neighborhood. My house was built in 1964. So to learn how to properly use my detector I'm practicing in my backyard. Tweaking the iron discriminator settings to try to avoid nails, I've had numerous hits that are 10+ inches deep. Before I start digging for them, I'm calling Miss Utility, just to be safe, even though all the water and gas lines are in the front yard! All the ground in my area is Marine clay, since I'm close to the Potomac, and I'm wondering how depth might equate to age as far as finds might go. The hand plane part was about seven to eight inches down. If you know of any areas in NoVA where it is legal to MD, I'd appreciate any information you can pass to me. My main motivation to begin this is to get out and be more active after numerous injuries and surgeries. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Good diagram Matt. It seems to be the depth stop for a rabbet plane, rather than something from the "normal" plane. I don't have one of those, which is probably good as it would give me just one more way to ruin a good piece of wood.

Upvote 0
CK - There is a small group that gathers on the second Tuesday night of each month out in Sterling. Usually just 5 or 6 guys with all our bits of junk to show & tell. It would be kind of a haul for you but you're welcome to join us if you like. PM me for more info.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
LOOK HERE KNEES I WOULD BE DIGGING IN THE SPOT LIKE A HOG RUTTING IN MUD. KINDA HAS THE PLANE LOOK TO IT.

Upvote 0
Oh, I'm going to be digging, sutphin! I called Miss Utility to mark my yard before I do any more digging. All my strong hits are reading as 10+ inches in the ground. There's also an old trolley line right next to my yard between the park next door, all that's left of it is the depression where the cut was. If any of it is on my property line (which is marked with stakes), I also plan to dig there as well. The trolley (apparently a farm to market line) was 18th-early 20th century running from the Mt. Vernon/Ft. Belvoir area to Old Town Alexandria. Who knows what lurks on my land?

I'm so stoked.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back