My first find on my Daddys Farm > Can anyone Identify

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
I found this as a child on our family farm. He was near perfect but of course I broke him into three pieces :-[ , glued him back together and he still stands alone !! Even though this was found at an Indian campsite , I know it is not American Indian > maybe they did a trade with someone many centuries ago ?? I have never had him appraised or had anyone tell me what he is or where he would have originated from ? Does anyone have an idea ?? Thanks ::)

Attachments

• figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 839
  • figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 845
  • figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 834
  • figure11.jpg
    figure11.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 820
  • figurea.jpg
    figurea.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 825
I'm not an expert on anything, but I think it looks Aztec to me. Where is Realde de Tayopa or Oroblanco when we need them?

Upvote 0
CarolinaDigs said:
;D Thanks everyone !! I just wonder what it was doing in a tobacco field in 1958 ?? :-\

Ah, such is the mystery of treasure hunting. You really should contact the two TNet members I mentioned earlier - Realde de Tayopa or Oroblanco. One of those gentlemen may be able to ID it for you.

Upvote 0
TreasureTales said:
CarolinaDigs said:
;D Thanks everyone !! I just wonder what it was doing in a tobacco field in 1958 ?? :-\

Ah, such is the mystery of treasure hunting. You really should contact the two TNet members I mentioned earlier - Realde de Tayopa or Oroblanco. One of those gentlemen may be able to ID it for you.

Thank you for this information. I did email him. :)

Upvote 0
Inca,Aztec or Mayan, although they spoke different languages, they all had similar cultures and even worshipped many of the same gods even though they gave them different names.So this could be a design patterned from any one of the three,I would think.

CarolinaDigs said:
Good question. :)

TreasureTales said:
Good idea.

Upvote 0
I am going to say this is an African figure and considering you found it on a tobacco field....it very well could have been owned by an early black american.

Upvote 0
HI Gal: Frankly I am of no good on this one, however I will say that it apparently does not have negroid features so I would rule out Africa.but then it doesn't have a clear cut connection with the Amerindian groups of Mexico and central America.

My gut feeling would be of the Mexican Origin, but who?

I need to do some research for sure.

Don Jose de La Mancha Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0
I'm no expert (unless you calculate the time I spent on google and multiply it in dog years) but I'm going for Incan. Just doing an google image search of 20 pages each for incan figue, aztec figure and mayan figure the Inca have a higher proportion of their figures wearing headress than Mayan and Aztec.

I found a photo of this little guy. If your figure had some additional decoration around the outside of his headress its a pretty close match - is it possible that there once was a bit more on your figure which was knocked off or damaged before you found it?

Attachments

• Inca3.jpg
    Inca3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 621
Upvote 0
I'm with gypsy. Looks African to me. And looks like a reproduction.

If I can offer some conjecture... (Hey, it's what I do...) Maybe it was a tribute to slaves who once worked the field, left by family members years after the fact.

My family recently made such a trip to the childhood farm of my mother-in-law. They weren't slaves, but for many years they worked the land that they, by law, could not own and were ultimately force to abandon.

I'm sure WE were not the first to make such a pilgrimage.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Real de Tayopa said:
HI Gal: Frankly I am of no good on this one, however I will say that it apparently does not have negroid features so I would rule out Africa.but then it doesn't have a clear cut connection with the Amerindian groups of Mexico and central America.

My gut feeling would be of the Mexican Origin, but who?

I need to do some research for sure.

Don Jose de La Mancha Tropical Tramp

Thank you ! I too feel that it was Mexican, Astec ?

Upvote 0
I concur that it's more African than ancient American....doubt it was brought from Africa itself, possible made here much later

Upvote 0
navarrone said:
:-\Its a "VOODO DOLL" get rid of it before midnight :o

Ya know You could be right ??? I haven't won the lottery yet ! I haven't lost the 15 lbs for my New Year resolution yet ! I haven't found any Spanish gold yet with my MD > OH MY GOSH > MY 90 year old mother sold the farm to my baby brother and now lives with ME !!!!!!!!! Your right !! that relics out of here !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Harry_Morant said:
I'm no expert (unless you calculate the time I spent on google and multiply it in dog years) but I'm going for Incan. Just doing an google image search of 20 pages each for incan figue, aztec figure and mayan figure the Inca have a higher proportion of their figures wearing headress than Mayan and Aztec.

I found a photo of this little guy. If your figure had some additional decoration around the outside of his headress its a pretty close match - is it possible that there once was a bit more on your figure which was knocked off or damaged before you found it?

Thank you for your reply , Yes I can see familar design, I don't think anything has been broken off the bottom though ???

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back