Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got to detect my first early 1800's property on Saturday(6/24). One cool find and one unhappy tenant.
I knew the property was going to be a challenge with multiple structures. One had been bulldozed in February and the 1/2 acre lot graded. The early 1800 structure and 3 others had been hit by a tornado this spring. But the biggest challenge was the unhappy tenant who would not let me on "his" half of the property. Aside from him and his dog it was still a pretty good day. The best find of the day was an object that I'm not entirely sure what it is. It's about 1 1/8 inch in length and 7/8 inch in width. To me it looks like one part of a two piece decorative button. The style i'm thinking of is "bar" shaped on one side and has a receiving side that the "bar" rests in. Just a guess. It has a great patina. I found my second ring of the year. Too nice to be out of a gumball machine but not nice enough to be out of a jewelry store. It has no markings and rings up in the 30's on the Nox 900. A horse bit and the usual clad and stuff. In one side of the bit is something that is made of lead and shaped like a bullet but way to big. Unless they make 50 cal. wad cutters.😁
Thanks for looking.
I forgot to mention the world's largest pull tab!
20230625_151016.jpg
20230625_150959.jpg
20230626_142011.jpg
20230625_150823.jpg

Upvote 19
Interesting finds. I think the object in the top ring of the bit is a link from an agricultural machine chain, such as used on a manure spreader. The lead is too long to be any firearm projectile I am familiar with. The ring is unique and neat.

Interesting finds. I think the object in the top ring of the bit is a link from an agricultural machine chain, such as used on a manure spreader. The lead is too long to be any firearm projectile I am familiar with. The ring is unique and neat.
I think you're spot on with the link. Now that you say it I can see where the next link would attach and so on. Thanks Almy!

The brass oval is from a turnbuckle fastener. Typically used for attaching canvas to a solid surface. Below is an image of a modern hardware set, but I find them on late 19th to early 20th century sites pretty frequently:

View attachment 2090733
Good call it looks identical to the one in the photo. Complete with the 4 tabs on the back. Thanks Paleomaxx!

The brass oval is from a turnbuckle fastener. Typically used for attaching canvas to a solid surface. Below is an image of a modern hardware set, but I find them on late 19th to early 20th century sites pretty frequently:

View attachment 2090733
Yes. Here’s one I found a few weeks ago. Never thought I’d see another one so quickly!

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 12
Yes. Here’s one I found a few weeks ago. Never thought I’d see another one so quickly!
That's incredible! I know I've said it before but I'm amazed at what this community brings to the table.

I got to detect my first early 1800's property on Saturday(6/24). One cool find and one unhappy tenant.
I knew the property was going to be a challenge with multiple structures. One had been bulldozed in February and the 1/2 acre lot graded. The early 1800 structure and 3 others had been hit by a tornado this spring. But the biggest challenge was the unhappy tenant who would not let me on "his" half of the property. Aside from him and his dog it was still a pretty good day. The best find of the day was an object that I'm not entirely sure what it is. It's about 1 1/8 inch in length and 7/8 inch in width. To me it looks like one part of a two piece decorative button. The style i'm thinking of is "bar" shaped on one side and has a receiving side that the "bar" rests in. Just a guess. It has a great patina. I found my second ring of the year. Too nice to be out of a gumball machine but not nice enough to be out of a jewelry store. It has no markings and rings up in the 30's on the Nox 900. A horse bit and the usual clad and stuff. In one side of the bit is something that is made of lead and shaped like a bullet but way to big. Unless they make 50 cal. wad cutters.😁
Thanks for looking.
I forgot to mention the world's largest pull tab!View attachment 2090696View attachment 2090697View attachment 2090700View attachment 2090701
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back