My First Day Of MDing

KIXLSYD

Jun 9, 2005
Tacoma,WA
Today was my very 1st day in the detecting world. I had fun. iv wanted a MD for a long time and my wife finaly got me one for my birthday. I had a blast. I found a penny with it near a BBQ area at a park here in Tacoma. Soon after I found 31 cents in change just laying on the ground near a bunch of picnic tables.......only I did'nt find the 31 cents with my MD, I saw those and picked them up, so i guess they dont count. I was out for about 2 hours, I hope my luck is better tomorrow morning. My MD is a quick draw II. Does anyone have any tips for me as far as hunting? I am compleatly new to this. Talk to you soon. Brad

Upvote 0
Welcome to the wonderful hobby that is Metal Detecting!! Let's see...general advice... Go slow! Overlap sweeps. Don't just hunt the high traffic areas, many of them have already been done, leaving a lot of coins to be found "off the beaten path". It's all about location...all the people that find the really nice stuff spend a good deal of time doing research to find old places to search.

There is an incredible amount of information on here.

Good luck!

Welcome, your on the right track!The 31 cents is still a find id count it.HH

Welcome to the forum Brad! There's a wealth of info on this site and you'll be comfortable with your MD before you know it! Good job on your first finds! Looking forward to more posts and great finds.

vicki

Welcome Brad.Some good advice above, I say HUNT & DIG HUNT & DIG you will learn your machine and site with use.HH

Kix--
Welcome to the world of detecting and the forum-- :) Just gettin out with a detector is a big step, I know I tol myself "one day" I'd buy one, long before I finally made the leap. Have'nt looked back since. If you think its fun now, wait till your first silver coin or jewelry or relic..You'll be runnin round slobberin!!!LOL Remember: Everything thats ever been and every thing that will be, ends up in the ground! Think of it--The shoes your wearing, that old gold coin,even the keyboard in front of you, sooner or later ends up in the ground,so think of all the items just below our feet!! COOL EH?? :o
My best advice?? Listen to some of the ole dogs on this forum.They have a wealth of knowledge and experience that they gladly share.Its a awesome resource!! Next I'd plant yourself a test garden to teach yourself what different items sound or look like on your machine.Take a penny, nickel, quarter, pulltab,nail and a 14kt ring. Find a place and bury them, making a sketch of where they are. then PRACTICE. When ya think ya got it down, diggum up and put each one in a film bottle, put the bottles in a brownpaper bag,shake them up- then pull one out and using your machine try to tell what it is ???... But to find really old stuff, most will agree, you have to serve your time diggin in the field. :( ::) Cause nothin beats hands on trainin! Be patient and GOOD LUK-resurector

Hi Kix, I have the QD2 also. I find tons of stuff with it!!! I highly recommend the 4" coil if you don't already have one. It makes you slow down and cover an area more thoroughly. You can also get closer to sidewalks, fences and large metal objects without so many "False" signals.

About that 31 cents: I count anything I find while detecting as detecting finds because I wouldn't have found it if I wasn't there detecting. ;D

If you want more tips specifically for the QD2 email me or send me a private message.

Good luck,
Bman

I almost forgot, get used to digging these:

pulltab2.gif

They're everywhere!!!!!!

youve already gotten some great advice on the previous posts.( by the way,these guys really know their stuff)my advise is to read your owners manual all the way through untill you totally understand it and then read it again! try hunting at some public schools around the playground,where the busses drop/pickup kids,ballfields,etc. you should find tons of clad coins in these areas and it will give you a great oppertunity to learn your machine.you might just find some jewelry to boot! that reminds me......gold shows up as foil or pulltabs on your detector so if you want to find that stuff..youre gonna have to dig some (a lot)of junk! also get into the habit of using your headphones. it extends your battery life,enables you to hear faint (deep) signals and it helps to tune out the occasional distracting kid! stick around the forum and you will learn all kinds of usefull info.dont forget to tell us about what you find. good luck hunting!! ;).............p.s. get a quality digging tool such as the hori hori knife or the lesch predator. it will make your life a whole lot easier!

KIXLSYD said:
Today was my very 1st day in the detecting world. I had fun. iv wanted a MD for a long time and my wife finaly got me one for my birthday. I had a blast. I found a penny with it near a BBQ area at a park here in Tacoma. Soon after I found 31 cents in change just laying on the ground near a bunch of picnic tables.......only I did'nt find the 31 cents with my MD, I saw those and picked them up, so i guess they dont count. I was out for about 2 hours, I hope my luck is better tomorrow morning. My MD is a quick draw II. Does anyone have any tips for me as far as hunting? I am compleatly new to this. Talk to you soon. Brad

What do you mean it doesn't count? Of course it does! If you hadn't been swinging your MD you probably wouldn't have found it. Besides, that is an important part of MDing, you have to keep your eyes open for anything your detector may miss. I have found some pretty nice items while detecting that I eyeballed. Here are a couple of examples: While walking from my car to a spot in a park that I wanted to hunt I was swinging my MD when I looked over to my left and found a nice, like new pocket watch just laying on the surface (found in 2005). I looked around and there was no one nearby so I staked my claim. Below is a pic of the watch. I also found a nice Seiko men's diving watch the same way when I was in Florida (found in 2003). I was detecting on the beach behind some hotels when I saw it sitting on top of the sand (off to my right). There was no one (swimming, surfing, walking) or nothing else (towels or other personal items) around it so I picked it up with my sand scoop and the rest is history. I have also included a pic of it (first time posted). My whole point is to keep your eyes scanning for anything you might otherwise miss. Good luck and HH.
P.S. Both watches work and the Seiko is over 20 years old and in excellent condition. I saw one on the internet that sold for $99 but I think I'll hold on to this one for a few more years.

Attachments

• PocketWatchOpen.jpg
    PocketWatchOpen.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 389
  • PocketWatchOpen.jpg
    PocketWatchOpen.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 338
  • SeikoWatch.jpg
    SeikoWatch.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 344
Welcome to the worlds best hobby Brad! About the .31 cents: It doesn't really matter HOW you find them, it just matters that you found them. Remember, you not metal detecting: your TREASURE HUNTING!!!!

Again, welcome to the form Brad and congrats on the finds with or without the MD they are still great finds. Wife is from Washington area and stated that you should try hunting the older parts of town for better finds. Keep us (form) posted on your future finds and good luck and good detecting.

Welcome Kix. a finds a find just the same ?;) , try hunting your own yard first, you'd be suprised at what you'll find and you can use it as practice for filling your holes, then expand your search areas, i think one of the hardest parts of this hobby or obsession is finding the time get out there to do it. i'm sure you'll be making some good finds soon. let us know how you make out.

?Pat.

P.S. check out around parking areas and under picinic tables, bench's and clothes lines

i just realized where you were from, seems to me that the areas around the Tacoma narrows bridge (The one that collapsed) "galloping gerty" may have some promising sites, as it drew in quite a few spectators ;) .

Hi Brad, welcome. I hope you enjoy your new hobby. Find some nice places to hunt, and stick with it.

If your like me, you've always enjoyed axploring and being outside, so even if I don't find anything, I've still enjoyed myself.

Hey Brad, this is just the beginning! You're on your way to tons of fun and digging up those little pieces of history just waiting to be found. Just wait til you find your 1st silver, you'll be bouncing around like a happy rabbit at Easter! Wooho! ;D

Nice finds there!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back