My first Civil War button! YES!!!!!

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got up this morning and decided to go detecting so went to an old homesite for the first time in about a year. The last couple of trips there have been frustrating. Went to the back of the house which is hard hunting because of the vegetation but my first target dug was an I button in really good shape. The scan isn't good so it doesn't do it justice. Can't see a backmark due to the green but the shank is intact. I was pumped! Then it rained off and on so didn't get much more hunting in and found the ever-present AL tax token and what looks like the frame of a brooch.

I was using my Fisher ID Edge, the button was about 5".

Thanks for looking,

Kent

Attachments

• button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 565
  • token-brooch-button.jpg
    token-brooch-button.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 558
Upvote 0
Nice going! :thumbsup: Congratulations on your first buton, hope there's alot more for ya!

WOW what a way to dig your first button Love that CS I ... That is one button on the top of my list for sure congrats :thumbsup:

Hutch

Great find! This is a confederate Cast I button. They don't have backmarks and it's
an excellent find.

Kent, That's one great button. Congratulations and what a great first button :thumbsup:

Hutch911 said:
WOW what a way to dig your first button Love that CS I ... That is one button on the top of my list for sure congrats :thumbsup:

Hutch
Ditto... :thumbsup:

Damn!! Good start... why waste time with those pesky Union Eagle Buttons... just jump right on in!!!! Congrats!!! That is one great find!!!!

MB

That is one nice I button,still looking for my first I button
Congrats

fortbball9

:wav: TAX TOKEN!! :wav:

;D :wink:

You KNOW that button's a good one!!! :icon_pirat: Beautiful find, Kent!! Take your time and hunt that site from one end to the other!!!!

:icon_cheers: CONGRATS ON AN AWESOME FIND! :icon_cheers:

Thanks guys

I was thrilled to find it and knew it was a CW infantry button but not being a relic hunter I didn't know how good of a find it was until I read your posts. Thanks for all the replies and the info.

Nana - I thought about you when I found the tax token. :D Those things are everywhere! My theory is when they became worthless, folks gave them to their kids to use as play money and they ended up in the yard which was our good luck.

Plehbah, the token was used like a coin to pay sales taxes so no need for a shank. These were 1 mil (1/10th of a cent) and is holed in the middle. They also made a 5 mil but I've never found one of those.

Kent

WHAT A FIND. AT LAST, I KNOW WHAT I FOUND. THE TAX TOKEN IS WHAT I FOUND. IT LOOKS LIKE YOURS. DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT WAS. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back