Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...well, probably a hatchet anyway. Still has a piece of the handle in it.
Found it in Perkiomen, PA along the creek.

I'd like to try and get some or all of the rust off, I've read of some of you using electrolysis to do this... Can someone outline how I would do this?

Update, 9/28/2014
Added picture of finished product on display at local historical society.

Hunsicker hammer - Skippack Hist. Soc..jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120721_205353.png
    ForumRunner_20120721_205353.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Upvote 1
Okay cool... I just posted a simplified process for electrolysis, but if ACV works, it's way cheaper. Watched the vid and liked the results, so it's off to WalMart I go lol. Do you have any sort of insight on whether mine is modern or old? I know that finding it 6 inches down doesn't mean much when it's near a creek. Your chart in the video suggests it's a wedge, nothing more.

I've cleaned dozens of rusty iron relics with electrolysis and have excellent results. I tried using apple cider vinegar when it was posted on Tnet and was not impressed with the results. I still had to finish with electrolysis. If you go the electrolysis route, knock most of the loose rust off, and the process will go a lot faster.

Okay cool... I just posted a simplified process for electrolysis, but if ACV works, it's way cheaper. Watched the vid and liked the results, so it's off to WalMart I go lol. Do you have any sort of insight on whether mine is modern or old? I know that finding it 6 inches down doesn't mean much when it's near a creek. Your chart in the video suggests it's a wedge, nothing more.

Being near a creek and at that depth suggests it could be old - hard to tell. Cleaning it may shed some more light on the age. Could have a maker's mark on it.

It'd be nice if it is old, it'd be my second old artifact to date. Right now it's soaking in ACV, gonna leave it for a few days. How often do you change the ACV, just every 3-4 days?

I have found about 6 in my hunting .. always a fun find (all different). some were worth saving and displaying... congrats on your great find!

Nice old relic. I have had success with acv soaking the axe for ten days, changing the vinegar after 5 days. Good luck, hope to see your results.

Here's the pic from a week's worth of ACV soaking... No sign of a makers mark yet, although I must say that the lines and overall shape give me the impression it's not of recent manufacture :)

Fresh Out of the Ground
ForumRunner_20120727_005922.png

One Week in ACV
ForumRunner_20120727_005811.png

I just noticed that there is a nice bunch of nice axe heads in "My Collections". Maybe you could post your axe head there and someone could help you out.

Nice find- I went to Perkiomen Creek Trail to MD but got confronted by ranger who said MD's are prohibited anywhaere in the county. I assume you found without MD. I would love to detect that whole area, and if you know any good spots to go I'd love to hear about them. I will attemp to search anywhere I feel sake or unseen in ( exception Federal land) and I'm consience of where I park my car and what I may have found and do my best to conceal my equipment. I intend to ask permission to search some places too. I'm in pocono area about 2 hours from Perkiomen.
THe electrolysis process is easy you should try it. I have access to a sandblasting machine at work which is fast but use electrolysis too.

Its starting to look good. Be sure to show us the finished product!

Relicmeister - I was MDing, actually, but not on the Trail itself. Not even on Trail property, and I was pretty secluded despite being about 25 yards from the road. I highly doubt MDs are banned county-wide, but I don't doubt that the Trail is State Park-type land, on which MDs are prohibited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back