My coin rings

Jack Burton

Greenie
Apr 30, 2005
I wasnt sure which forum this should be posted under, so mods move it if you feel it necessary. I have been 2 coin rings on and off for about a month in between schoolwork. I graduated yesterday, so I put the finishing touches on the clad 1996 quarter I was working on. I also did a 1964 Kennedy half. The half fits on my ring finger and the quarter fits on my pinky. I actually kind of like how the clad quarter ring came out. Since it is only silver plated, during the hammering process the silver plating made 2 silver bands on the outside of the ring, while the middle of the band is copper. Here are some pics:

This one is the clad quarter, I know its a bad phone cam pic, but if you look close you can see the silver bands on the outside of the copper.

This is the Kennedy.

Upvote 0
Those rings are very nice :o

How do you make them?

floatcopper

Hey Jack Burton! Those rings are beautiful! You did good! And congratulations on the graduation! :D Only thing is... now it's time to get a J O B ! ;D

Nana ;)

A job well done. WTG

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 435
  • happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 437
That guide is pretty much how I do it. The only difference is that I use a trailer hitch, and a machinists hammer instead of a block of steel and a spoon, and I also use a mini hobby lathe when sanding and polishing. Thanks for the comments guys.

allen said:
cool rings. But isnt it against the law to deface american coinage?????
I dont think so. Someone posted this question once and I thought the concensus was a no.

Great Rings and Congratulations on your Graduation. HH

nedigger said:
I wonder if anyone has ever made a ring out of a double eagle?

Wouldn't that be a sin! :o Thanks for posting the instructions. I've been looking for them. I didn't know it could be done with a clad. How long did it take? Tell us more!

Those are pretty neat!! My father has a couple of rings he made from silver quarters long ago. They are perfect, and you can still read the date and all the writing on the inside edge.

Also, I found a ring made from a 64 kennedy half once while MDing!

that is kind of a cool idea, but im so cheap, id have a hard time making a ring out of money. Nice idea though, and kind of different. Nice job there. Brad

There is no silver plating on a clad quarter, those rings turned out very nice. Would love to see clearer pics.

vwayne1 said:
There is no silver plating on a clad quarter, those rings turned out very nice. Would love to see clearer pics.

Well, if it isnt silver plating, whatever it is that makes the outside of new quarters silver makes silver bands on the outside of the ring. I will try to take clearer pictures with my girlfriends digital camera this week.

alabamadan- Id say grand total it takes about 7-10 hours for me to do one. I few hours to bang out the coin until the band is wide enough, and the words I want to read have folded over, then about an hour to dremel out the inside of the ring, another hour or so of sanding, and wet sanding the outside, then a bit to finish up with polish and sanding the inside of the ring up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back