My buddy found a ring....

trgams

Apr 21, 2003
Columbia, SC, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
And I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on its origin...here's a pic:

watermark.php

I know it's a little poor quality picture, but this is what I know about it: It was found on Edisto beach, SC. That's right near Charleston SC. Anyways, it appears to the owner to be made of bronze or possibly some other badly corodded metal(did I spell thet right?) the figure in the face of the ring looks like it might be Poseidon, because of the three pronged pitchfork looking like staff.....
Anyways if anyone else has ever seen anything like it, any help would be appreciated... ;D

I just wanted to clarify something....I talked to my buddy again, and this ring is actually made of what appears to be bronze, not some other corroded metal.Thanks for any help. :D

Upvote 0
I was with my brother when he found this ring...

neptune1if.jpg

Here's a color pic which is much clearer.

Paul

Thanks to imageshack.us for hosting for Free.

Upvote 0
Is that you Paul? Chris' younger brother? If so, I'm glad you found a way to post that pic better for me...And nice to see Ya Around! -Todd

Upvote 0
It May Be A CW era Carector Ring Representing Punch Of Punch & Judy Fame. Punch's Image was used in satire & Comedy pieces of that time period. Just a Guess. trk5capt...

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's me, the little brother...Chris emailed it to me in a weird format and I was able to make a JPEG out of it.

I thought it looked like Neptune/Poseidon of Roman and Greek Mythology with the trident...They were the god of the sea, so is this the ring of a sailor or maybe even a pirate that fell overboard...or maybe walked the plank? ha ha

Thanks,
Paul

Upvote 0
Neat looking ring,,,definitely looks old...
Good luck on an ID, & Happy hunting~

Upvote 0
As I study it closer, the hat looks more like a fez than a mortar board, nix the graduatioin info! Perhaps Shriner associated? He's got a trident and something else in front of him and something that looks like a fish in front of the left side of his face. Also holding up 4 fingers which may signify something? A gang sign? (No, just kidding). Dang, beats me! Monty

Upvote 0
A priest or monk is an interesting thought...

Could be a fisherman, too...Tridents or GIG's can be used for spear fishing.

Upvote 0
Monty I thought it looked like a fez too! So its a mans size ring? It must signify something because it is so mixed up . It looks cartoonish and yet well made? And a mans size? ( I'm guessing) Holding up 3 to 4 fingers. And a fish like thingy on one side and a fez looking hat, and a fork like spear. Well its puzzle! Anyone belong to a order that would know more about something like that ?

HH Gigi

"A priest or monk is an interesting thought..."
I agree it is a interesting thought ands it just may be the right place to start!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back