My bf found this old axe head when metal detecting an old roadbed next to an old graveyard in Chelsea, GA. Please help identify age & value.

juliehunter7

Jun 22, 2024
IMG_2478.jpegIMG_2480.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpeg
    IMG_2481.jpeg
    559.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2482.jpeg
    IMG_2482.jpeg
    948.5 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 9
Keen Kutter axes of this era were considered of the highest quality, hand forged and tempered. Keen Kutter is considered by collectors to be one of the great brands from what is referred to as "The Golden Age of Axe-Making". A Keen Kutter axe is considered a basic requirement for a serious collection.

Keen Kutter first appeared as a brand of the Simmons Hardware Company, St. Louis, MO, in 1866. They reserved the Keen Kutter label for their very best axes and cutlery. In 1940, Simmons Hardware went bankrupt and was purchased by rival Shapleigh Hardware who replaced the Simmons name with Shapleigh while keeping the overall axe design the same. In 1960, The Keen Kutter trademark was purchased by Val-Test Distributors who dropped the Shapleigh name, but continued to use the Keen Kutter logo until the 1990's.

I've found a lot of axe heads over the years, but I've yet to find a double-bit head. Your boyfriend did a nice job restoring it too. Based on the makers stamp, I'm thinking the axe dates to the 1930s - 40s. As a collectible it wouldn't have a lot of collectible value due to the damage to the cutting edge. But the damage could be ground out by an experienced blade sharpener, so it should still be usable to cut trees. :thumbsup:
- Dave

Keen Kutter axes of this era were considered of the highest quality, hand forged and tempered. Keen Kutter is considered by collectors to be one of the great brands from what is referred to as "The Golden Age of Axe-Making". A Keen Kutter axe is considered a basic requirement for a serious collection.

Keen Kutter first appeared as a brand of the Simmons Hardware Company, St. Louis, MO, in 1866. They reserved the Keen Kutter label for their very best axes and cutlery. In 1940, Simmons Hardware went bankrupt and was purchased by rival Shapleigh Hardware who replaced the Simmons name with Shapleigh while keeping the overall axe design the same. In 1960, The Keen Kutter trademark was purchased by Val-Test Distributors who dropped the Shapleigh name, but continued to use the Keen Kutter logo until the 1990's.
Great intel on the axe head

Cool find, I would put in a handle and use it. My dad collected KeenKutter tools, all of them are very high quality. Had a few pocket knifes and a ax shaped sign,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back